PDA

View Full Version : Yuck

daspencer
11-14-2008, 01:06 PM
I just used my Smokin Tex 1400 for the first time and am not happy with the results. Here is the procedure; I bought a pork sirloin roast that was in two pieces jet netted together (wt. 4.65 lbs.), I drained the juice off of them smeared them with a thin layer of mustard and applied a commercial bbq rub on them, put them in a vacuum bag and let stand overnight. The next day I smoked them for approx. 8 1/2 hrs. at 225 degrees F. using approx. 6 oz. of pecan wood chunks. The internal temp. of the meat was 192 degrees F. Brought it in the house took off a big chunk bit into it and YUCK. It was so salty it was like pouring salt straight out of the shaker into your mouth. Obviously I did something wrong. Need some insight please. Thanks

PS:The commercial rub's first ingredient was salt.

Thunderbyte
11-14-2008, 06:44 PM
It sounds to me like the rub is the culprit. You can make your own rub, as I do. Mine has a lot of brown sugar in it and not much salt. Below is what I make with results that make me happy. Your taste and preference will vary. Experiment keep notes and adjust as you go. For me experimenting is 1/2 the fun. This recipe makes a lot, so reduce it if you dont need that much.

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup salt
2 tbs chili powder
2 tbs cumin
2 tbs granulated garlic
2 tbs granulated onion
1 tbs black pepper
(the pepper adds a touch of heat, so remove if you dont like a little spicey)

I use this on pork butts and sometimes my ribs.

Dont get discouraged and ask lots of questions! I have the same smoker and love it!

Thunderbyte
11-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Heres another recipe I havent tried but it looks good. If you start looking at different rub recipes you will notice a lot of similar ingredients. Brown sugar is almost always in there, and I prefer the dark brown. Garlic powder and onion powder are also pretty common. If I dont have time to make my own, I will sometimes use Mcormicks pork rub with decent result as well.

8 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic granules
4 tablespoons dried thyme
4 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons kosher salt

daspencer
11-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks, I have made copies of these recipes and will be trying them soon. I figured it was because of the rub but I didn't know if I was supposed to have rinsed it off before starting. Thanks again.

Jerry Swen
06-02-2009, 05:08 PM
The sirloin you used is very lean pork. A butt might be more juicy. Jerry