PDA

View Full Version : First time smoker

akern
02-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi, i just bought the 1400 last week and so far Ive been happy. I did apple wood smoked chicken after i seasoned the smoker the nite before. It came out real good. I then did ribs i need work on those i set the smoker for 225 and my probe had high readings of 237 at some points so a little turn down on the dial seems like the right thing to do. I then did smoked hot dogs with 1/2 cup of hickory a temp of 200 (i didnt use a probe i just set the smoker temp for 200) for an hour came out great then did bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers with 1/2 cup of hickory at 200 again no probe for two hours came out awesome. So tomorrow is my first big smoke a 8 pound Boston butt with a mix of apple and hickory chips ill let you know how it turns out. Im hoping my new hobby continues to be fun and will happily accept any and all advice.

BillyBob
02-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Akern....welcome....sounds like you are doing great. My advice to you would be to try wood chunks instead of chips....I find the chunks to work much better on the ST. JMO

BillyBob

bigwalleye
02-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Akern
Welcome to the forum!! The tips I'd offer are these: Get a good thermometer and use it. Keep a journal of what you're doing, including start and stop times, air temps, which rack you're using, how much wood, temp settings, and what you thought of your results. A little wood is better than too much, and it's very easy to oversmoke.

I've done more pork than anything, and I'm pretty happy with my ribs, and this is the ONLY place I don't use a thermometer, since there's so little meat to work with. Try this: 2 oz of apple or cherry, ribs rubbed with whatever you like. Arrange on the racks so they don't touch. Set the smoker for 250 and walk away. Come back in 3 hours with tin foil pieces prepared big enough to hold each slab or put a couple or 3 1/2 slabs together and wrap them up tight. Place them back in the smoker and close the door, with the temp still at 250. Leave them there for 1 1/2 hours. Take them back out of the foil and backinto the smoker, still at 250, for an additional hour. If you want to sauce them, do it in the last 30 minutes.

The foil condesnses the moisture and raises the temp, and softens the bark a little. The last hour finishes them off. I've had no complaints, and never have leftovers.

Most importantly, take advantage of the knowledge base here. Whatever you can think of smoking, somebody has tried it, and this forum is one of the best for sharing info.

Welcome aboard, and Smoke On!!

Tampasteve
02-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Welcome.....Ditto everything above. And don't hesitate to post anything. We are all learning together. And getting fatter everyday.....Love those ST's..........Steve

akern
02-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. My Boston butt was a learning experience, but i made through it OK. I did need to calibrate my temperature knob but no big deal there, Smokin Tex was real helpful. Smoked turkey breast is my next smoke ill keep a log and post the results.