PDA

View Full Version : First Smoke

Bobby BBQ
03-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Just finished first smoke, put on 2 whole chickens, about 4 1/2 each. Put rub on skin, smoked for 4 3/4 hours till they reached an internal temp. of 170. The meat was the best I've ever tasted. The skin was like rubber. Had new smoker ( 1500CXLD) on 250. Never got above 235. When light cut off, temp went down to 215 before coming back on.
Very happy with the results, except the skin and the temp. never reaching 250.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

bigwalleye
03-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Bobby
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first smoke. They say you'll always remember your first time.Do a search on this site for "crisy chicken skin" and I think you'll find the answers you seek. I recall a couple members advising a dusting in cornstarch before smoking, and some advising a short stay on the grill afterward. Sounds like you might need a recalibration. Check the forum for info and a contact with ST. Sounds like there have been a few problems of late with undertemp units. They'll guide you right. Also, may try in addition pulling the birds at 165. They'll continue to cook after they come out, and 165 should be plenty for poultry.

Welcome again and Smoke On!

Bobby BBQ
03-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Thank You.Big Walleye

BillyBob
03-03-2012, 11:01 PM
It has been my experience that the ST's will not give a crispy skin...take it out a little early and crisp it up on the grill. These smoker's are all about moisture and tenderness.

BillyBob

PS: That is not compeletely true...you can use a rub with high sugar such as brown sugar and cook long enough....and it will be crispy. Look at the butt I did resently...the crust on that butt was great.

Billybob

Wheelz
03-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Congrats on your first smoke from another Razorback! I agree with the posts above. Taking the yardbirds out at 165* will give you jucier meat. And on the skin... I've found that fighting to get it crispy is just more trouble than it's worth. Just peel it off before eating. IMO, the broiler &/or grill after the smoke just isn't worth the hassle!

Good luck & have fun!!!