PDA

View Full Version : Wood

WranglerSS
03-22-2012, 04:29 PM
I just got my new 1100 and was wonder if you are supposed to use new wood blocks each time you smoke something. I just finished seasoning the ST and noticed the wood is only blackened on the bottom. Is it still good to use for smoking now or do I get new blocks?

bigwalleye
03-22-2012, 06:06 PM
I think the idea in the saeasoning blocks is oinly to impart an initial smoke coat inside the box, and I believe are hardwood, but are not what I'd want to smoke with. I'd toss 'em and run your first smoke with some good hickory, pecan, alder, mesquite or fruitwood of your choice.

BillyBob
03-22-2012, 09:28 PM
WranglerSS...I agree with bigwallee and just to let you know....if you want to save the left over chared wood...it is considered as Natural Charcoal and is great to use on the grill!
I custom cut my wood to the size of the wood holder in the 1400 and save all the left overs for my charcoal grills!!!!

BillyBob

WranglerSS
03-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. One other question though, I have plenty of oak and hickory on my land with quite a bit already cut and split. Should I use green or seasoned wood for smokin? Also does it make much difference between red and white oak?

applejack
03-23-2012, 04:56 AM
Hello WranglerSS,

Sounds like you have access to enough great cooking wood to last forever. Especially with how efficiently the SmokinTex smoker uses wood.

I would suggest that you use only dry wood without any bark. Personally I have used lots of Post Oak to cook with and I like the flavor of this wood. I should think that most oaks would produce a similar flavor. Since you have both white and red oak available, why not just run a test let us know?

Just an observation but I was surprised to read that when you did the initial seasoning with the provided wood chunks that they were "only blackened on the bottom." As I recall, when I seasoned my smoker and when I smoke snything for more than a couple of hours all I have left in the wood box is ashes. Just wondering what temperature you had the thermostat set at during the seasoning process?

Good wishes for a whole lot of great cooks in your future.

applejack

WranglerSS
03-23-2012, 08:07 AM
I did 6 hours at 215 degrees per the instructions. I was too a little surprised that more of the wood wasn't at least charred. I will have my wireless thermometer in a couple of days then I can check the actual temp to the dial.