PDA

View Full Version : Need a Baby back ribs recipe

Steelydan
05-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Hey guys I did baby backs last weekend and liked them. However I'm a meat falling off the bone guy. I want to not even be able to pick those bad boys up with tongs. Any one have a magic formula to suit my taste that I can try today?

SmokeRing
05-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Hey Steelydan,

If you want fall off the bone ribs, one of the best known ways that I know is to marinate your ribs for a couple of days in a mixture of Worcestershire sauce, Jack Daniels whiskey, some sugar, and whatever other ingredients you like. These rib will break down and dissolve off of the bone when smoking them. I would also wrap them in foil at least the last hour. I recommend two hours with a little apple juice concentrate spray and then sauce them the last hour as well. 4-5 hours in the smoker should do it for you. Hope this is what you're looking for.

Keep on Smoking,

SmokeRing

BillyBob
05-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Steelydan...try this...rub them the night before...smoke them at 240 for 2hrs...prepare two layers of heavey duty foil...put the ribs and 1/2 cup of apple juice in the foil and seal good and tight. Cook for 1 1/2hrs in the foil...if you don't want to sauce them you can leave them in the foil for 2hrs. 4hrs total at 240 and they will fall apart.

BillyBob

SmokeRing
05-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Steelydan...try this...rub them the night before...smoke them at 240 for 2hrs...prepare two layers of heavey duty foil...put the ribs and 1/2 cup of apple juice in the foil and seal good and tight. Cook for 1 1/2hrs in the foil...if you don't want to sauce them you can leave them in the foil for 2hrs. 4hrs total at 240 and they will fall apart.

BillyBob

That sounds good too. I've tried many ways and it looks like I'll have another try again.

Thanks,

SmokeRing

bigwalleye
05-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Steelydan.
BillyBob is right on the mark. Depending on the ribs, you may not even need the juice, but the additional moisture will help soften the bark even more. Some also has to do with the rub as well. If you use a rub that will help seal the ribs a little, the moisture becomes less important. I like 'em pull off the bone tender, but I also like some bark. Pull off the membrane. I mix about 3 parts white sugar, 1 part Beau Monde spice (it's a combination of ground celery and onion powder) and 1 part Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning. I dust the ribs pretty good and rub it in all around, lighter on the bone side) then a lite dust with a commercial rib rub ( I like Jack Stack from Kansas City) refrigerate overnight and smoke 240-250 with apple and a couple briquettes for 3 1/2 hours, foil for an hour and a half in the smoker, remove then and sauce them at that point, back to the smoker for another 1/2 hour to an hour, depending on how much moisture I want to pull off and how carmelized I want the sauce.

I think we all run about the same, with little twists and turns we've developed to suit individual tastes. It's like a good bourbon, they're all tasty, the fun is in the searchin'...

DReeves
05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Steelydan.

I think we all run about the same, with little twists and turns we've developed to suit individual tastes. It's like a good bourbon, they're all tasty, the fun is in the searchin'...

Well stated, Big Walleye. And like others, I now have some new tricks for my bag o' tricks :)