PDA

View Full Version : Ornamental Pear

jfsjazz
05-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Does anyone know if the wood from a flowering pear tree is OK for use in smoking? Lightning took one down on my property two years ago and the wood is now cured perfectly. Since it does not produce traditional fruit, I'm wondering if it would have smoking characteristics similar to a regular pear tree. Anyone have any experience with this type of wood?

Thank you.

bigwalleye
05-21-2012, 08:19 PM
That could be a tough one.

I'd be tempted to start a small fire with it and see how the smoke smells. That may give some indication of how it'll taste. Back in my pre-smoker days, I brought a number of pieces of scrap cherry, pine, oak, apple and walnut to a campfire, and based on smell, played "name that wood". You'd be surprised how good your nose actually is.

DReeves
05-22-2012, 02:04 PM
I don't have any personal experience, but I too, would like to know the answer.

I have some wood from my boss, it is from a fruit-bearing apple tree. Maybe I'll toss it in, see how it smells ;)

mneeley490
05-23-2012, 04:24 PM
I read somewhere that flowering, or ornamental, cherry trees may be used in place of fruit-bearing cherry. So I don't think this should be any different.

BillyBob
05-23-2012, 10:59 PM
I checked with a friend of mine in Atlanta and he said it would make the food bitter tasting...I don't know from expreience.

BillyBob

sundown
09-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Old thread but chiming in on pear wood. I have some mini-splits of pear that is an excellent smoking wood. Stay away from that ornamental flowering stuff and if you can find some dried pear wood....get ya some!! It is like a milder version of hickory......nice.......