PDA

View Full Version : Brine Babybacks?

ajax
06-06-2012, 09:15 PM
I've brined pork chops and loins before when I grill them to keep them moist. Has anyone ever tried brining babyback ribs before moking them?

BillyBob
06-07-2012, 01:15 AM
Ajax.....don't say that too loud in the South...you could be hung for thinging about that kind of nonsense!!!!!!

Ribs are supposed to be slow cooked....that is what makes them tender...225-240 for around 6hrs.

BillyBob

bigwalleye
06-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Ajax, to each their own, but 'round here, that's just plain wrong on so many levels.....

Low and slow.....

ajax
06-07-2012, 07:56 PM
I know boiling gets everbody upset but I didn't realize soaking in a little salt water to retain moisture was such a sin with ribs. It's great for chops and chicken when you're grilling. Keeps them from drying out. Thought it might do the same for baby backs. My first try turned out a little dry. Maybe I didn't leave them on long enough to really break down. Did them at 230 for about 4 1/2 hours.

bigwalleye
06-07-2012, 08:28 PM
ajax, temp sounds right, try foiling them at the 3 1/2 hour mark for an hour then out of the foil for 45 to an hour longer. The foil really amps up the heat and moisture and does a nice final breakdown, and the last hour actually helps dry them a little. That's the time to sauce glaze if you like. Some folks will add a little apple juice to the foil before they seal it. A couple charcoal briquettes in with the wood chips gives a little more smoke and a nice smoke ring also.

BillyBob
06-07-2012, 10:44 PM
X2 walleye...good advice!!!!

Ya'll won't need me pretty soon!!!

BillyBob

DReeves
06-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Never, Billybob! We need you, along with the other great contributors on the forum!

Keep on Smokin!!!

bigwalleye
06-08-2012, 12:37 PM
BillyBob,
NEVER. Where do think all this advice came from? Dude, I just type faster.

Besides, you don't want to leave. I have friends in Tennessee. If I can't find you, THEY CAN.

BillyBob
06-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Ya'll are learning sooo fast and doing a GREAT job...glad I could help along with all the other great people on this forum!!!!

BillBob

metronome
07-24-2012, 01:46 PM
We have brined pork spare ribs with positive results. They turned out very moist.
P.S. For simplicity, I simply season with Tony Chachere's or Bad Byrons Butt Rub and fresh cracked black pepper. I baste a little warmed honey on them for the last 30 minutes or so.

sundown
09-13-2012, 08:27 AM
I used to brine my ribs and I have found a better way thanks to Famous Dave. Season your ribs with some chopped onion and black pepper. Then pack dark brown sugar heavily on each rib and stack em on top of each other. Wrap em up tight and stick em in the fridge overnight to get happy. :D
In the morn, wipe off the sludge from the ribs and use your seasoning of choice. Stack em up and wrap em again and stick em back in the fridge to get even happier.;);)
Toss in the Tex when you are ready to get smokin.
If you want to take your ribs to the next level, have a charcoal pit set up for grillin at the end of your smoking session. Set your ribs on the grill and keep flipping them over and over till ya get a nice char...you can baste if you wish.......the layers of flavor will make your tongue jump out of your mouth and thank you!!

DReeves
09-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Sundown,

Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I'll give this a shot for my next racks.

sundown
09-13-2012, 10:31 AM
I think you will like the results. It seems like a little extra work but I think the extra steps are worth it!! I have noticed some have had undercooked ribs after -5- hours and the little bit of grill time sure takes care of that!!

DReeves
09-13-2012, 10:39 AM
I've left my ribs for 6 + hours.... during a party.

The smokintex works great as a holder.... i simply lower the temp and pull racks when needed.

Thanks again for the great ideas!

DReeves
09-13-2012, 10:43 AM
One quick question: I see where you rub in onions and black pepper, and brown sugar, cover and keep over night in fridge.

Then you wipe and rub with your own rub, and suggest the fridge again. Overnight? A few hours?

What have you found that works best?

sundown
09-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Ooops my bad....wipe off the sludge the next morning and apply your rub and rewrap and fridge for that days cook or even the next day if ya have to. I usually start the process of onion,black pepper and brown sugar the night before I want to cook them. The rub is for about 2-4 hours. I usually start the ribskies at 10 am cause I like to eat round 4-5 in the evening.....

DReeves
09-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Very nice. Thanks for clarifying. Cannot wait to try.

sundown
09-13-2012, 01:38 PM
One other thing about Famous Dave's recipe. Here comes the old "Ginger vs Maryann" controversy.............he says not to remove the membrane!! He just scores the membrane in a X type pattern. He says after all the hours in the smoker and once it hits the grill you will never know the membrane is there!! I have tried with and without the membrane and I can not tell the difference...........

oh......MaryAnn!!!!! :cool:

DReeves
09-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Interesting point.... something to ponder.

I was always a Maryann person myself.... as Ginger seemed a bit too pretentious for me..... But hey, to each his (or her) own! :p

sundown
09-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Besides, Dawn Wells (MaryAnn) still looks real nice these days, where Tina Louis ( Ginger) looks like she fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!

bigwalleye
09-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Gawd. This is the only forum I can think of where a discussion on brining baby backs can turn into a discussion of Mary Anne or Ginger. I'm ashamed of the lot of you and honored to be one of your compadres.

Just for the record...In the day, my preference would have been...EITHER/BOTH.

Today, Sundown is on the mark.

mneeley490
09-14-2012, 02:39 PM
That's been my standard response as well. Why not both?
Anyway, back to the topic. As a general rule, I do not brine my ribs. However, there is one exception;
My Cherry Cola Ribs. Do a standard brine, but use cherry cola instead of water. It works best if you can find the full strength, cane sugar type of pop, not the high-fructose, corn syrup kind. Remember to save some for your mop or spray bottle (the pop, not the brine).
I suppose you could substitute Dr. Pepper if you must. I'm just not a Dr. Pepper kind of guy.