PDA

View Full Version : Smoked venison pie

luke clayton
06-10-2012, 05:17 PM
I was looking for a new way to put my ground venison to good use and discovered SMOKED VENISON PIE! AWESOME flavor and simple to prepare. Here's how I did it:

In an open aluminum pan, I placed 2 pounds of ground venison (beef fat added). If using straight ground venison, use 1.5 pounds venison and one-half pound 70 % lean hamburger.
Add one finely chopped medium sze onion, 2 seeded jalapenoes chopped finely, and 5 new potatoes, thinly sliced (use potatoes about 2 inches in diam).

Stir in 2 tablespoons sea salt, one teaspoon chili powder and one-fourth cup finely chopped cilantro.

Smoke in Smokin Tex uncovered at 225 degrees for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. I prefer well seasoned pecan wood and use about 3 ounces.

Remove from smoker and drain. Add 2 tablespoons unsalted butter and mix well. Add one raw egg, well beaten and 6 Ritz Crackers, well crumbled. Add one cup shredded cheddar cheese.

Place ingrediants into frozen pie shells and use another shell as the top.

Finish in oven preheated to 300 degrees. Allow to bake about 30 minutes or until top crust if lightly browned.

AWESOME flavor that is just as good at home as it is at hunting camp!

bngood
06-10-2012, 06:29 PM
sounds great , need to try that would be nice to see some pics. nice recipe.bye and good smokin