PDA

View Full Version : Whole brisket in 1100 size??

ShoreSmoke
06-29-2012, 12:12 PM
I've never done brisket before, but my smallish smoker doesn't look like it will fit a whole packer cut. Am I wrong? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'd prefer not to cut it in half if I don't have to.

What have you guys found?

applejack
06-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Hello ShoreSmoke and welcome to the forum.

I am going to jump in here and share my own experiences. I would want to cook a brisket laying flat. I also like to cook a brisket open on a rack at 230f until the internal temperature reaches 160. Then I place the brisket in an aluminum pan and cover tightly with heavy foil and cook until the internal temp reaches 200f.

Obviously if the brisket you are trying to cook is larger than the rack, it will need to be cut. For me, that is no big deal and certainly should not negatively impact the quality of your cook in the least. I cut slabs of ribs slabs in half every time I cook them and most larger briskets also get whacked in half. I defy you to tell the difference when you chow down on a yummy slow cooked brisket in your SmokinTex.

Best Wishes and keep on smokin.

applejack

BillyBob
06-30-2012, 09:23 AM
ShoreSmoke...welcome to the forum. I totally agree with Applejack...you will not know the difference!!!

BillyBob

Wheelz
07-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Maybe the best thing to do is to start with smaller briskets and work your way up, keeping track of the weight and dimensions. Remember that you can put the brisket in on an angle. And, it really doesn't matter if it touches the sides of the smoker a tad. It's going to shrink up on you anyways. Personally, I prefer to keep mine whole and entacted. But, like the guys above stated, you'll never know the difference with the finished product. Just some thoughts...