PDA

View Full Version : Smokin tex gumbo

luke clayton
06-30-2012, 12:00 PM
SMOKIN TEX GUMBO-
HUGE POT OF GUMBO SIMMERING Picked a bunch of fresh okra and peppers this morning. Put some chicken breasts on the Smokin Tex to smoke along with some spicy sausage links. In a BIG cast iron pot, I simmered onions, celery and peppers, added about 20 diced tomatoes out of the garden. Chopped the chicken and sausage up and added it to the pot. Shook in a liberal amount of Tonys seasoning.Added a bottle of spring water. When it began simmering, added some Tony's instant Ruox (No fat added this way and to my taste it's better than a lot of oil or butter) . Put a lid on the Dutch Kettle, put it back in the Smokin Tex to simmer at 225 degrees for a couple more hours. Will let it cool and then bag it up in quart zip vac bags and freeze it. Gumbo keeps very well and makes a quick, tasty meal with rice served on the side!

Sodaking27
06-30-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm a big fan of Gumbo also. I always cook my chicken, sausage and shrimp in the ST for my gumbo. Only thing I omit is the okra. Not an okra fan.

luke clayton
06-30-2012, 03:27 PM
I've known others that do not put okra in their gumbo but to me gumbo is not gumbo without OKRA. Bet you could hardly tell it's in my gumbo, it's cooked down very well. The okra gives gumbo a certain thickening that I like. But.. you are definately not alone.. I have friends and family that won't put okra in gumbo.