PDA

View Full Version : Cold smoked striper

luke clayton
07-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Luke Clayton here. Ever prepare cold smoked striper? Trust me, it's as good or better than salmon. Last week, went striper fishing at Texoma,caught some good size fish in the 6-9 pound range. Removed ALL the red meat from each fillet, then rubbed with cure (Mortons sugar cure is good).. I added brown sugar to give it a bit of a sweeter flavor.. Put about 2 ounces of dried PLUM wood in my Smokin Tex, set the dial at 150 degrees and let her go for 4 hours. This is the COLD SMOKE method, opposed to HOT SMOKING, which is actually cooking the fish.
Keep in mind, to smoke at low temperatures, Your meat or fish MUST be cured. Fish cures nicely in 24 hours in the frig. Give this a try. I've used catfish fillets with equal success but striper is my favorite. Good COOKIN"

smokin-tnpete
07-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Luke Clayton here. Ever prepare cold smoked striper? Trust me, it's as good or better than salmon. Last week, went striper fishing at Texoma,caught some good size fish in the 6-9 pound range. Removed ALL the red meat from each fillet, then rubbed with cure (Mortons sugar cure is good).. I added brown sugar to give it a bit of a sweeter flavor.. Put about 2 ounces of dried PLUM wood in my Smokin Tex, set the dial at 150 degrees and let her go for 4 hours. This is the COLD SMOKE method, opposed to HOT SMOKING, which is actually cooking the fish.
Keep in mind, to smoke at low temperatures, Your meat or fish MUST be cured. Fish cures nicely in 24 hours in the frig. Give this a try. I've used catfish fillets with equal success but striper is my favorite. Good COOKIN"

Luke it does a great job at that also. We have fun here at Pickwick with the stripe's. They average 10 lbs most day and catch 30+ on a lot of trips so come on over LOL. There great cold smoked or hot smoked.. Good to see you posting here also. I post on the catfish board as shilohred.
Pete

luke clayton
07-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Glad to hear from you. I fished downriver from Pickwick on the Tennessee River in the world championship of catfishing a little over a year ago. BEAUTIFUL country! Those cured, smoked stripers are mighty good eating. I would like you to watch the video we did using the Smokin Tex... It's at www.catfishradio.com click on LUKES HOTSPOTS... take care, God Bless, luke

smokin-tnpete
07-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Glad to hear from you. I fished downriver from Pickwick on the Tennessee River in the world championship of catfishing a little over a year ago. BEAUTIFUL country! Those cured, smoked stripers are mighty good eating. I would like you to watch the video we did using the Smokin Tex... It's at www.catfishradio.com click on LUKES HOTSPOTS... take care, God Bless, luke

That is a good video. I keep thinking about buying one of the 1400's to haul in the back seat of the truck. The 1500 is way to big to haul like that. I have to load it in the boat. Or haul it on the trailer when I do not have the boat with me. LOL You should see us loading the 1500 in the boat. Don't think I will be putting it in the new lund for a while.
Also Thanks we love Pickwick. Its go it all, Fishing is great every month out of the year. And we love to eat what ever comes out of our smokinTex. Guessing we have fed a 6+ thousand out of it the last 3 years.
Keep the videos coming.
Pete

luke clayton
07-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Pete,Glad you enjoy the videos. We're all waiting for a bit cooler weather here in Texas. I't HOT..I plan to head down to the Brazos to do an article on Bass fishing but... we will also set some lines for catfish. Will set up a ladder stand and make ready for bow season as well!