PDA

View Full Version : First Time Seasoning - How much wood was burned?

Trek-Leo
08-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi folks,
I'm a newbie and have a dumb question that I did not find an answer for the the old threads. I did my first time seasoning yesterday. I put in 4 oz of wood that came with the unit, closed the door, and turned the dial up to 215 degree. I got smoke out the vent, and a little smoke around of the door. I did not have a temperature probe inside so I cannot verify the internal smoker temperature. After 4 hours I turned the unit off.

Now the question, when I opened up the smoker after 4 hours of smoking and it cooled down.The wood blocks just looked they had been scorched with a blow torch and there were a couple dime size spots of burned wood 1/4 to 3/8 inches deep and no ash. I was expecting to dump out mainly ashes, but instead I could smoke 40, 50, 60 times with the same two blocks.

Do I have a problem?

SmokeRing
08-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Try putting just a handful of wood chips in the box for a few hours if after that you have ashes you're good to go. If not you have a problem.

applejack
08-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Hello Trek-Leo,

Welcome to the world of SmokinTex users.

A couple of observations: I think the manual states that you should use 8 oz of 'seasoning' wood at the temperature you set the unit at. The purpose for the seasoning is to create a coating on the inside of your smoker and in the process build up a seal coating around the door. All that aside, I think you should have had mostly ash in the wood box.

A tool that is invaluable to have is a dual probe Maverick digital thermometer. Available from SmokinTex. I would be completely lost without mine. This instrument will allow you to KNOW what is going on inside your smoker.

I suggest that you give SmokinTex a call and discuss your experience with them. They WILL help you. It sounds like for whatever reason your unit did not get as hot as the temperature set point.

Best of luck in getting your unit put into service quickly. Browse through the hundreds of great bits of advice you will find on this forum. Do not hesitate to participate.

applejack

sundown
09-13-2012, 09:21 AM
When I seasoned my first unit, I grabbed a cheap small roast and froze it. When I went to season my smoker I put it in the smoker frozen. This way the unit stayed on longer to get to temp and burned all the wood up. I had the same thing happen on my first season cook, the wood did not burn and the smoker came up to temp to quick because it was empty. Just get a cheap ole frozen pc of meat and toss it in there for your first season cook.......

I forgot to mention that I have never had just ashes in my smoker box just scorched wood but I had plenty of smoke. Got to keep in mind that we are smoking at lower temps in these units and it does not take a bunch of smoke in these units to impart that smokey flavor we all love. I have been running a Polder lead thru the vent to monitor temps and mine is running nicely.

Applejack is dead on about getting that Maverick. I am going to take his advice and grab one from Smokin-Tex. I miss having the temp gauge like I had on my stick burners and that Maverick will serve a dual purpose like applejack stated!