PDA

View Full Version : Bacon

letitride
09-27-2012, 06:14 PM
plan on doing a couple of pork bellys in fact they are curing right now,i under stand everything except the wood amount and am very new to this. my question is how much wood do i use , can only get WOOD CHIPS and i see WOOD CHUNKS were used,looks like 6-8 oz.OF CHUNKS so if someone could tell me how much wood chips to put in my st1400 wood box to equal an oz of cunks , don;t want to mess them up thanks in advance

applejack
09-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Hello letitride,

Welcome to the forum. Do you happen to be from Saskatchewan, Canada? Your bacon project sounds interesting. I have only made 'Canadian bacon' from a pork loin and 'Buckboard bacon' from a 10 pound pork butt. Each only one time so far. My initial results were very tasty and I will do it again.

As to your question about chips and chunks. I have a convenient source for wood within a short distance from my house so I buy what is available close to home. Some woods are chips and some are chunks. I use both. I know that some folks feel strongly that chunks are best. In my humble opinion an ounce of chips is equal to an ounce of chunks. I do think that chips are more quickly converted to ash than chunks but at the same time your SmokinTex unit is holding that smoke inside and letting it impart that wonderful smoke flavor to whatever. Your ST is a most efficient smoke chamber. I find it amazing what only a 1/4 cup of chips can do for a 14 pound turkey. I find that if you want to obtain enhanced smoke flavor, one way is to seal your smoked product and let it rest in the refrigerator or freezer for a couple of weeks before cutting/cooking/serving. The smoke flavor seems to go all the way through.

Please post your 'bacon makin' results.

Best Regards,
applejack

letitride
09-28-2012, 07:25 AM
hi applejack
yes from moose jaw sask. thanks for the info. wood chinks seem unavailable around here i will go with 1 oz chips to 1 oz chunks

metronome
09-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Don't forget to post some pics !!

letitride
10-09-2012, 07:26 AM
picture of finished bacon242

BillyBob
10-09-2012, 07:54 AM
Good job....looks great!!!!!

BillyBob

applejack
10-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Hi letitride,

The bacon really looks pretty. The main thing is were you pleased.

Curious about how the chips worked for you? Do you know what the max temperature of the bacon when it was smoked?

Best Regards,
applejack

letitride
10-09-2012, 12:02 PM
hi applejack
used 4 oz. maple chips smoked at 175* till internal temp of 150* took about 4.5 hr.

applejack
10-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback letitride.

Your bacon looks like it really has a nice smoke coating. I like your choice of wood. I am a bit envious. Tell us how yummy it is and make us drool.

Best,
applejack

rider
03-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Did you use any pink salt? I am going to start a cure tomorrow and plan on leaving it out. I think I'll throw an ounce of hickory chip in with the balance maple.

ericrice
03-21-2013, 09:53 AM
rider - I'm seeing this a bit late but I have turned countless bellies into bacon along with making a variety of salamis. As I'm sure you are aware pink salt provides a safety barrier but in addition to that it is partly responsible for the nice red color and the flavor we associate with bacon. My point isn't to say you must use it but I'm wondering about the taste of the finished product. Love yo hear how you made out.

I would also state that I have been much more pleased with my bacon if I cold smoke only. I know a lot of the recipes out there tell you to slowly cook to 150 after curing but outside of the states that is rarely if ever done. Frankly it doesnt serve much of a purpose unless you intend to eat it without cooking it again.

DReeves
03-22-2013, 06:37 AM
I just posted, but then my reply vanished. Forgive me if this is a duplicate.

Looks awesome, Letitride.

Ericrice, how long and at what temp are you cold smoking your bellies? I am intrigued.

I am in the camp that an once of wood is an once of wood, no matter how you slice it. I prefer chips over chunks, simply cuz I am lazy, and have found chunks a little bulky to deal with in the smoke box.

ericrice
03-22-2013, 07:33 AM
DReeves - Depends on how lazy or how much time I have to set aside. I am very active with Charcuterie focusing mainly on salami's, bacon and whole muscles (capicolla, bresola, etc). Great site below that has provided tons of great info for me. Lots of folks from outside the states and neat to get other perspectives. So for cold smoking I look for 8-12 hours. Temps usually in the 70-100 F range, light smoke. General consensus is shoot for below 100F. Some folks smoke theirs up to 24 hours but usually broken out across 2 or 3 smoking sessions with the bacon resting in the fridge in between. Most agree that cold smoking takes more time to achieve a good smoke but that the finished product has better penetration and much more depth. Although I haven't seen a definitive answer most folks think Americans began hot smoking bacon out of convenience as it's easier than cold smoking. I will state that I have not yet cold smoked bacon in my smokintex (just got it). I would shoot for the 12 hour or more range with the lighter smoke it produces. Once I've done one in my smokintex I'll be sure to report back.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/index.php

DReeves
03-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the link, Eric. Feel free to call me Darren.

I'm all about the flavor, and often wondered why we would take the temp to 150 if we are to turn around and cook in an oven @ 400....

metronome
03-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Eric, I am beginning the charcuterie journey. Wife got me Ruhlmans book for Christmas.
How do you cold smoke or should I ask in what do you cold smoke. Smokehouse, old fridge etc.???
Thanks in advance:)

ericrice
03-24-2013, 12:42 PM
I will confess that I have not yet smoked any salami - barrel seemed like too much work and difficult to hang them in. Looking forward to attempting it on the smokintex but my season is really over now. I will tell you that getting good (I doubt I'll ever master it) has taken lots of trial and error (3 years and counting). Food related it is by far the most difficult thing I have ever attempted. Don't be put off, once you get the hang of it the finished products are amazing and very repeatable. I've done close to 200lbs this year and everything has turned out great. I would highly recommend the site I included the link for - I have learned much more there than in any book. Once you have dabbled a bit I would also recommend Len Poli's site - lots of good info and tons of recipes there for the taking. As an easy starter try the pork roll recipe from there, cooked product done in 2 days and you can use homemade bacon ;)

Feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have. Best of luck!!

ericrice
10-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Been a while but time to revive this thread. Temps cooled down and put the tex to use as a cold smoker. No power to the tex just used one of the maze smokers with pellets for all smoke and no heat. Bellies cured for a week, this is after the initial smoke of 9hrs. Most of it (some ended up a BLT last night) ;) will go in for an additional smoke or two of the same length. Another whole belly right behind this one as bacon, 1/2 will be pepper coated and a third belly that will be pancetta. Hope I got the picture thing right.

Metronome - have you taken the plunge into Charcuterie yet? Here's a pic from last year.

metronome
10-29-2013, 01:18 PM
ericrice, we just finished the last of the sliced corned beef, and the other half will be served with cabbage.
This was my first one and I was wowed by the results. Next up is pastrami. Just last night we thawed some maple bacon to go with banana nut bread the wife whipped up for a "light" dinner:rolleyes:
An aside, I treated myself to a dry aged 4 rib Wagyu roast (actually an Angus/Japanese Black crossbred) on Oct. 19th.
Of course slow-roasted in my ST. Wussed out on pictures though.

Your pic of the hanging goodies inspires me to try these techniques...Thanks

ericrice
10-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Metronome - Great to hear on the corned beef - if I remember correctly that's brining? I haven't taken the plunge into brining at that level yet but maybe time to give it a try. That rib roast had to be fantastic, the best meat money can buy and done in a great smoker :D
Best of luck with the continued journey.