PDA

View Full Version : Banned KCBS Tenderloin

sundown
09-28-2012, 07:26 PM
This is from Chris Marks of the legendary Three Little Pigs cooking team;

This is from Chris Marks of the Three Little Pigs cooking team:

Here is the reason why KCBS changed the rules in 94 to allow only pork butt in the pork catagory. They had to many complants because the Three Little Pigs won the pork catagory to many times.

World Champion Smoked Pork Tenderloin

INGREDIENTS:
2 pork tenderloin
6 Slices of Bacon
1 Bottle of Three Little Pigs Competition BBQ Sauce

Spice Rub
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 1/2 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Bag brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger

PREPARATION:
Mix all ingredients together for the spice rub. Generously cover trimmed pork
tenderloin with spice rub and then wrap the tenderloins in the bacon strips and then pack the tenderloins in the brown sugar in either a zip lock plastic bag or a pan catering tin overnight. Place the tenderloins in the Smoker, cook at 250 degrees while adding 2 small chunks of Wild Cherry flavor wood. Remove from smoker when 155 degrees is reached internal and let sit for 10 minutes, and then glaze with Three Little Pig Competition BBQ Sauce.

Steven Par
09-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Does the rub include the bag of brown sugar or do you just use the brown sugar after the bacon has been wrapped?
steve

sundown
09-30-2012, 09:43 AM
The brown sugar is separate. I have done this recipe a bunch of times and I just use my favorite pork rub (at the time) and then I wrap up the loin and pack the brown sugar on it and then wrap it!! When the loin is done the bacon is like pig candy!!

Other variations I have done is run a slit along the top of the loin and add in a mix of Farmer John sausage and cheese and then use the bacon to hold it all in and then do the brown sugar....outrageous!!

Oh...the bacon might not get crispy enough in the Tex....if it doesn't...there are two ways you can go....the bacon did its job by imparting flavor and moisture to the loin so you could discard it..........

.....discard bacon http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc469/s1cott11/yikes.gif

or you can have a charcoal grill set up running hot with coals set up for indirect heat and put the loin on there for a spell covered to crisp up that bacon.....trust me the extra step is worth it when you eat that sweet smoked bacon!!

Steven Par
10-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks Sundown. I definately will have to give this one a try.
steve

bigwalleye
10-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Sundown,
That sounds incredible. I think I've found my next cook. You, sir, are a gentleman of the first order.

sundown
10-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Thank You Sir :cool:

DReeves
10-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Oh wow. This sounds fantabulous :D

I am headed to the store to start building these ingredients....

Thanks for sharing, Sundown!

DReeves
10-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Quick question, for sundown (or anyone, really)

How long does it take to get to 155 internal? Also, if you want to crisp up the bacon on the grill, should you pull from smoker earlier, so as to not over-cook on the grill?

Thoughts, anyone?

bigwalleye
12-25-2012, 10:21 AM
DR,
There's a very recent separate thread on the topic of your question, seems like 2 1/2 to 3 hours is your answer for cook time. I think the bacon crisping question answer is that it goes to the grill once you have hit your target internal temp. I don't guess it'd spend time on the grill to change the internal temp much at all, since it's only there long enough to crisp the bacon.

DReeves
12-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks, Walleye.

I pretty much came to the conclusion to simply smoke the tenderloin, without the bacon.... OR smoke with bacon, to temp, then place the bacon in the oven or grill to finish.

Placing the tenderloin on the grill after coming to temp in the smoker simply took the meat beyond the appropriate temp, which I did not want. Maybe it was just me.....

bigwalleye
05-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Made another of these wonderful cooks last night. I would ordinarily use about 3 slices of bacon per loin, and smoke with 5 or 6 big cherry chunks and 3 charcoal briquettes. Cook was good, but riddle me this, Batman....
I used chips instead of chunks, (all out of chunks) and used about 6 pieces of bacon on the small 1.5 lb loin, and lost my smoky flavor and smoke ring. Why? Was it too much bacon to allow the smoke to penetrate or was it too little smoke due to use of chips?

BillyBob
05-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Jim, have you not listened to me....or do you not pay attention to what advice I offer. A hand full of chips will burn soo fast and your smoke is gone . USE CHUNKS...I like alot of smoke in my meat so I use at least 6-8 oz.

BillyBob

bigwalleye
05-13-2013, 07:13 AM
Billybob,
Like training a lab, you may consider my ears to have been duly pulled. However, the "cherry chunk" bucket was empty and Momma wanted a pork loin. Ya do what ya gotta do. I was just curious if a heavier bacon wrap would prevent the smoke from penetrating.:o

BillyBob
05-13-2013, 09:20 PM
If you have enough smoke....there shouldn't be a problem.

BillyBob

DReeves
05-14-2013, 08:38 AM
I suppose (staying neutral, down the middle) that if one were to use chips, one could simply increase the amount of chips to account for the said chunks?

bigwalleye
05-14-2013, 10:55 AM
That's what I would have thought, and used a LOT of chips, and that's why I wondered about the bacon wrap. I would normally use 3 pieces of bacon, but this time I used 6, completely wrapped the loin end to end.

BillyBob
05-14-2013, 07:56 PM
C' mon ya'll.....think about it......burn some chips on a grill and then burn some chunks....your shunks willl smolder and give off more smoke!!!!!!

IMHO.....DO NOT USE CHIPS IF YOU WANT GOOD SMOKE.

BillyBob

billy b
05-25-2013, 08:04 PM
I use chips entirely, I wrap them fairly loosely in foil (enough to almost fill up the chunk tray) & insert a couple of charcoal bricketts on the end outside the foiled packet. A full foil packet will smoke for several hours which is perfect for me. I use pecan hulls for beef & apple or cherry chips with pork.