PDA

View Full Version : I finally made it here

starhockey
10-06-2012, 12:22 PM
After being a wood smoker for years then building a new house and selling the wood smoker I just received my 1400. Seasoned it last night and will do some ribs today. Should I coat the racks with vegetable oil or something similar before I load the 1400 up to make the racks easier to clean?

applejack
10-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Hello starhockey,

Congratulations neighbor. Welcome to the forum.

As to coating the racks with oil - I have tried that and could not see any benefit in doing so. I try to wipe the racks off just after taking them out of the cooker while they are still hot. I use them several times before actually washing them. SmokinTex advises that you can just put them in your dishwasher. That would probably work quite well. However, having been married to my first wife for 59-5/6 years, I am a bit too timid to try that at my house simply because my better half would probably dang near kill me if I did. So, when it does come time to really make them sterile and new looking, I spray with an oven cleaner and rinse in soapy water. Sparkly and shiny again.

You are in for a bunch of tasty eating.

Best Regards,
applejack

starhockey
10-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks, applejack

sundown
10-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Welcome aboard and enjoy your new Tex!!

bigwalleye
10-07-2012, 11:54 AM
I've run the racks through the dishwasher WITH the wife's blessing. Just told her that if I can't wash the things, I'm not going to be able to keep turning out the high quality ribs she likes so much. That sealed the deal, and I'm free to use the dishwasher as I need to (but I cautioned her that the remaining uses for the dishwasher are for her to figure out).

DReeves
01-02-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm with bigwalleye.... I wash my racks in the dishwasher all the time. So easy and yet so effective.