PDA

View Full Version : Hate to do it...

bigwalleye
10-08-2012, 08:25 PM
I really hate to follow a thread on porkloin smoking with this, but...I saw a bunch of spam posted on the boards earlier today, and notified the admin, but it got me to thinking...

Anybody ever smoke SPAM, the Hormel product?

I mean hey, if you can make a fattie out of Jimmy Dean pork sausage logs, I wonder how smoked SPAM would taste?

BillyBob
10-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Jim....score it....add some rub if you want and cook to 155-160. Use any temp you want...just bring it to 155-160.

BillyBob

metronome
10-22-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm going to try it.....NOT
unless I'm having a luau.

bigwalleye
10-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Challenge accepted!! I'm gonna do it.

I have 2 butts in right now, preparing for an all-nighter starting at 11, and when I wake up I'm going to toss in 2 fatties and the Spam.

Good thing it's cold in the Northland, else I'd be fightin' off some wild-eyed Hawaiian!!!

Film at 11......

bigwalleye
10-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Well, here's the result. It's still warm, and while it's a little saltier than cold right out of the can, I would have expected that, since I have had fried spam with eggs and that was saltier as well. A nice smoke coat as well, and I've got it in the fridge chilling. I think the smoky flavor is going to be a nice add. I'm pretty pleased with the result. While I wouldn't run a whole smoker load of the stuff, it is a nice little "throw in" along with a couple fatties to complement a larger cook.

PS It's really good cold. Nice smoke flavor, not greasy like the "out of the can". I could see this as the basis for scrambled eggs and Spam, or finely chopped in a spread, or as a cold sandwich meat.

BillyBob
10-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Jim...how long did you smoke it....mine has a lot more smoke. I don't know about you....but I like it every now and then!!!!

BillyBob

bigwalleye
10-29-2012, 06:47 AM
BillyBob,
I was in for about 3 hours at 230. I had a couple butts running from the night before, and in the morning I added a couple fatties with temp probes in along with the spam and a handful of apple chips, and when the fatties reached 165, I pulled the Spam and the fatties.