PDA

View Full Version : Help on the fly please for a Christmas Prime Rib.

Hammerhead
12-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Hey all. Has anyone attempted a prime rib in the smokin tex? I'm going to attempt this feat tomorrow. Thanks for any information on this.

Fred

elkhunter
12-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Tried one myself for Christmas. I did an eight pound bone in or for five people and had them fighting over seconds. One of the best I have ever had. The cook book that came with smoker was way off though. Mine took three times as long to cook than stated in the book. That was after I raised the temp up to 250 from the listed 200. How did yours come out Hammerhead

Hammerhead
12-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey elkhunter, yeah mine was okay. I went for 250 for a 7lbs roast for 3 hours. I then placed it in the oven at 450 for about 20 minutes. It wasn't bad but could have prob used at least a total of 40 minutes at that temp. My roast tasted great but was tougher than i liked. I had no complaints thought so I suppose it was good. I'm thinking of an elk roast by trial and error. Any thoughts on this? Thx

Sincerely,

Fred

elkhunter
12-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey Fred,
How did you come up with 250 for three hours as a starting point? The cookbook from Smokin tex that I used said 200 for two hours. You sure were a lot closer. You will need to be real careful with the Wapati roast as it has so little fat content. Rare Rare Rare is the order for your Elk. If you did not use a digital temperature probe on you Prime Rib get one for the elk. I got mine at Home Depot for $22.00. I would guess about 115 to 120 at the most would do it. Probably closer to 115 as it will continue to cook once you take it out. Not to heavy on the salt either as this will toughen it up also. I like a spice I make called 321. 3 parts salt, two parts granulated garlic, one part pepper. This is also great on ribs in the smoker. They come out ready to go with out any sauce , which is good if you are trying to watch the calories and carbs.
Good Luck,
Jim

Hammerhead
12-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey Elkhunter, what I did was surf the net for the prime rib and took the average times from electric smokers. Most were saying to place the roast inside of the oven at 400 degrees upon completion of the smoke process. I also figured about 20 minutes a lbs for a med to med rare roast. Once inside of the oven the oven is turned off. After 20 minutes the instructions say to pull it out. My roast seemed too rare once I took it out of the smoker so I estimated the time since the family looked pretty hungry. All in all it wasn't bad so I'll chaulk this up for experience. That has been the case from what I found out with doing my own BBQ. I actually enjoy the hobby very much and love the smell of smoked meat on a Sunday afternoon with a cold beer. I'm sure the neighbors are also enjoying it as well. Thx for the heads up on the elk. Do you ever do any duck or geese?

Sincerely,

Fred

elkhunter
01-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Hey Fred,
Yes I have done ducks and Geese a go go. Nothing better that smoke goose, cheese and wine for cold Sunday and football. I always brine my geese for 12 hours in one cup of kosher salt and one pound(box) of brown sugar with 6 quarts of water or enough to cover depending on your container. Do this at least a day ahead of time as it is best when served cold. Also we have a tradition of smoked Goose sandwiches in the blind. UM GOOD TAKEM BOY'S!!!!!