PDA

View Full Version : Vennison Jerky

flash
11-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Got my smoker about 3weeks ago and putting it to work again tomorrow. So far have done cheese, ribs, jalapeno poppers, and a turkey for thanksgiving. Got a deer the other day and goind to take a stab at jerky. Been looking at videos and reading on the net, sooooo many different ones to choose from! Anyone have good luck with jerky here that might have a few suggestions?

flash
11-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Got my smoker about 3weeks ago and putting it to work again tomorrow. So far have done cheese, ribs, jalapeno poppers, and a turkey for thanksgiving. Got a deer the other day and goind to take a stab at jerky. Been looking at videos and reading on the net, sooooo many different ones to choose from! Anyone have good luck with jerky here that might have a few suggestions?

Dont know if anyone has the jerky fan but i think it worked out well and i have to say the jerky wasn't too bad for first try!

jfsjazz
12-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Flash,

I just got a bunch of venison and have thought about jerky for part of it. Care to share your technique?

Thank you.

flash
12-09-2012, 09:24 PM
i had venison i had cut into 1/4" thick peices. i then made a marinade using the following..

1-cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup worshire sauce
2-table spoons garlic powder
2-table spoons garlic powder
2-table spoons onion powder
2-table spoons canning salt
1-table spoon red pepper flakes
1-table spoon black pepper
2-teespoons morton tender quick
1-teespoon cyanne pepper

mix well then put meat in ziplock bag and add marinade and refrig for atleast 16hrs put in smoker at 160 for 2hrs then if you have a jerky fan put on and turned up smoker to 185 for approx 2-3hrs. have to keep checking no batch is the same and it depends on how well you want to to it.

ALSO... i got the above recipe off the net and i found it to be good but found it too be much better by doing the following.

cut back on the soy sauce(too salty for me) only use about a half cup. added more worshire sause(about half cup) and added about a quarter cup of terraki marinade.

turnes out great and goes quick with friends and family.

good luck and let me know how you make out.

jfsjazz
12-18-2012, 01:31 PM
flash, since I don't have a dryer, I decided to use my Canadian Bacon technique on a small batch of deer steaks. Got this idea from another meat smoking forum, so I can't take credit for anything new. The venison turned out like pastrami and tastes fantastic.