PDA

View Full Version : making jerky

2tall
01-06-2013, 12:29 PM
i'm looking for recommendations on what cut of beef is best to use when making jerky. any ideas?

bigwalleye
01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
2tall,
Top round steak, flank steak or rump roast are all reasonable choices. The trick is to find a low fat cut of meat. The fat will become rancid with storage.

Try freezing it for a little while until it firms up before you slice it, and try to keep the slices not over 1/4" thick. I'd suggest cutting across the grain to keep it a little more tender when it's dried.

Hope this helps.

BBB
01-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Most expensive cuts - flank (cut with the grain), Eye of the round (cut with the grain).
Average cuts - top round, rump (you may want to cut across the grain).
Do not use cuts - chuck (too fatty).

coach
02-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Top round,flank steak, eye of round,even bottom round if you trim fat off--venison is really good because of lack of fat--I like to soak venison over night in milk to get blood out before seasoning

Wheelz
03-29-2013, 11:39 AM
I've smoked quite a bit of jerky & found that the "round" cuts, for the money work great. Cut with the grain if you want it to last longer (more chewy) and against the grain if you want it to disappear quick!! Flank steak is more costly. And IMO, rump has too much fat. I like to do a load of the tough-stuff and send it to my nephew who is now serving in Afghanistan. It last longer when they are out on patrol.

DReeves
04-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Does anyone have experience using the jerky drier that ST sells??? I'm curious to hear how it works. If not, what time and temp are y'all using?

Sodaking27
04-23-2013, 03:36 PM
I have one of the driers from ST. It works great. I've made several batches of jerky since purchasing. Warning though, be careful who you give your jerky to. I gave some to my father in law who in turn gave some to his friends. Now they are all calling me wondering when the next batch of jerky is going to be ready.

DReeves
04-23-2013, 04:26 PM
I have one of the driers from ST. It works great. I've made several batches of jerky since purchasing. Warning though, be careful who you give your jerky to. I gave some to my father in law who in turn gave some to his friends. Now they are all calling me wondering when the next batch of jerky is going to be ready.

Classic!!!!! Thanks for the warning :)

bigwalleye
04-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Caller ID is your friend....

metronome
04-24-2013, 06:54 PM
I have the same prob with Bacon.......