PDA

View Full Version : Butts and Bologna

Steven Par
01-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Just a couple of photos of some recent smokes. Hyvee had boneless butts on sale for a $1.19 a while back. I sure wish I would have filled the cart. We keep it simple on about everything we smoke anymore. We rub with Lawreys seasoned salt and then smoke. We like to slice so I usually remove after about 8 to 9 hours smoking and the temp being 185 to 190. Its usually about 3pm so I wrap and cooler for the next 2 to 3 hours before eating. This one was just right. We pile about 8 oz of meat on a bun and eat.....no sauce or anything. I hate to cover up the flavor of something that took some time creating.

I also did a batch of beef bologna. It didn't turn out as good as normal. I have found when using the Tex for sausages you must really ensure the casungs are good and dry before adding smoke and do not overload. 10 to 12lbs is about tops in a 1300 model I usually dry by leaving the door cracked for an hour or so with the temp set on about 120. Anyway I did not do as I should have and ended with sort of wet grayish looking casings when done. The good news is the flavor was fine, just not estetically correct.