PDA

View Full Version : Maverick Thermometer

Caliboy760
01-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Hello everyone, Question has any of you had problems with the probes on your remote thermometer? I have 2 probes and 1 is reading 48 degrees and the other 138. It has to be wrong since the meat just got out of the fridge. How do i fix or do i just have to buy a new one cause that wouldn't make me very happy since i've only used it about 8 times....

Caliboy

bigwalleye
01-07-2013, 06:40 PM
I did a separate thread on the same subject a couple weeks ago. Check Maverick's website. I think replacement probes are about $12 ea, but they are pretty particular out not getting them wet.

I think I've got a meat temp probe failing myself...

metronome
01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Over the years I've found meat probes tend to be troublesome. Usually where the braided cord enters the probe. That seems to be their weak point after a few years of handling, being coiled up and being stuffed into boxes, baggies, drawers etc.

djousma
01-08-2013, 06:04 PM
I had this problem. I also have had problems with the remote monitor always losing sync. I went with a new Dual probe from Thermoworks that uses the K type thermocouples which are less susceptible to water damage.

See this post (http://smokintex.com/forums/showthread.php?870-Just-bought-new-toy-for-my-1400) for more info.

DReeves
01-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the link, djousma :)

Caliboy760
01-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Thank you guys for the comments. I would agree the weak spot is where the plastic goes on at end of probe. DJOUSMA thanks for the post of the new kind of thermometer. I still would like to have the wireless one it makes it nice when the weather is cold out and i don't have to keep going out to check on it.. Thanks again everyone