PDA

View Full Version : sausage?

roujesky
01-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Guess what I got for Christmas??!!! Love my new Smokin Tex! :)
smoked ribs and a brisket already. Never successfully smoked in my life. Now, I am a pro! :)
Success leads me to be more adventurous! Friend gave me venison and wild hog. I want to make smoked sausage out of it. I am looking online at academy for spice kits. are these kits good? do they have some built in artificial smoke flavor? where can I get a good spice kit?
As an aside, birthday this week and getting a meat grinder for making sausage. what do yall recommend? Is the LEM good from Academy?

thanks1

DReeves
01-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Congrats and welcome to the fam! We put the "fun" in dysfunctional! ;)

I've never used the spice kits from Academy, but I'm sure they are fine.

Same with meat grinders. I've done some research, and LEM seems to come out on top.

Looking forward to seeing your results!

stones16
03-13-2013, 11:02 AM
roujesky,
Just joined this fourm, came across your post and am fixin to get into the sausage making as well. I will be using the SmokinTex 1400 with an Auber dual probe PID controller. Was wondering if you made the sausage and how it turned out. I picked up the book "Meat Smoking And Smokehouse Design" by Marianski, Robert, Marianski, Adam, Marianski, Stanley. (Amazon.com) Not trying to sell their book for them but it has some very usefull info on sausage making you might be intrested in. Kindel version for <$5.00.

metronome
03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Also check out the book "Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman.
Remember when making sausage, keep it cold, keep it clean

BillyBob
03-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Roujesky and Stones.....welcome to the forum and I hope ya'll enjoy your smokers. Can't help with the sausage....I don't make my own.

BillyBob