PDA

View Full Version : Question about smokin Pork Butt

Reedje
02-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Hi,

I am new to Smoking and just bought a 1400. After I seasoned it to the owners manual instructions for 4 hours. Then the next day I tried to make pulled pork using a 5.5 lb pork butt. I followed the directions in the owners manual and seasoned it overnight. The next day I cooked it at 215 for 8 hours. I did not put sauce on it while it was cooking (mop it) because I didn't know if I should open the smoker while it was cooking. When I took the pork butt out it was done and tasted very good. However, it did not pull apart like I expected. Anyone have any idea why? Should I have cooked it longer? At a higher temperature maybe? Should I have placed a little tin of water in the bottom of the smoker to give it more moisture?

Hoping someone replies soon. I am going to try either Baby Back Ribs or Spare Ribs this weekend and don't want them to be dry. Thanks !!!

bigwalleye
02-13-2013, 01:42 PM
What was your internal temp?
Ignore the clock and watch the thermometer. 200 internal is my target to pull, 190 to slice. I like a setting temp of 225, but will go to 240 if I need to reduce the time. I generally run 8-9 pound butts, and it takes about 15 hours. Low and slow is the key. Don't open the door. These smokers do not need water. If you need to hold temp to wait for the rest of the meal to get ready, either turn the temp of the smoker down to 210 or, check for posts on foil-towel-cooler method. I've held a butt for 4 hours already by doing that.

DReeves
02-14-2013, 07:18 AM
Welcome to SmokinTex, Reedje,

BigWalleye nailed it. Follow his suggestions and you will be fine. The only advice I would add is that I look for bone-in pork shoulders, as I find them to be a bit more tender and juicy.

Enjoy!

bigwalleye
02-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Reedje,
How's this for backing each other's play? DReeves is on point re: doing the whole bone in butt.

The bone side is a consistency more like ham and the bottom side is a consistency more like pork roast, and when mixed together, they complement one another. Also, like anything else, the bone adds flavor. Finally, you'll find the time for an 8-9 pound butt isn't a whole lot longer than it is for the "half" variety, and once you nail this, a 5 pounder WILL NOT be enough....

Reedje
02-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks for your help... How do I track the internal temperature without opening the smoker. I have the 1400 and I just set the thermometer. Next time I will set it for 225. So if my pork was not pulling apart, that means it wasn't cooked long enough or too long?

DReeves
02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Many of us use Maverick dual probe thermometers. One probe monitors the smoker, the other your meat.

I believe it is called the Maverick ET-732, or something close to that.

Stick the meat probe in the thick part of the pork butt, but not touching bone.

Reedje
02-15-2013, 08:00 PM
So is there a probe that goes into the meat inside the smoker while it is cooking and reports to a remote device meaning you don't have to open the smoker?

DReeves
02-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Yes, absolutely.

Just as you described. Two probes drop in, through the smoke hole.

A remote sensing unit reads the two from the comfort of inside your home.

Laziness and efficiency all rolled into one ;)

smokin-tnpete
02-18-2013, 04:41 PM
I run the probe on mine down the exhaust hole. It has a braided SS cord. Also I do my bone in Boston butts (7 to 9 lbs each) at 225 for 16 to 18 hours and they come out tender, Juicy and falling apart. Have done 120 lbs of Boston butts or just one. Always the same.

Also on curing the smoker. The more you use it the better it gets. I never clean the sides of mine other then to take a paper towel and wipe it down. Clean the racks and fire boxes along with the bottom of the pit. That dark stuff on the inside is where your flavor comes from. I can do Chicken in mine with on wood and everyone loves it . Plus can't get over how it taste without any wood.

Buddy of mine bought a 1400 last year, He was not happy with it. Until I cleaned it back up for him. Sprayed it down with pam cooking spray, then put 6 oz of wood in it and a chicken. Set it for 8 hours. Chicken was fed to the dogs. Next day He did chicken again and ate it. Now after 6 months he loves it more each week.