PDA

View Full Version : cooking space in 1500

bbqbetty
02-23-2013, 11:09 PM
How much cooking space from top of unit to bottom shelf is there in the 1500?

DReeves
02-24-2013, 09:37 AM
A lot. I'll grab my tape measure.

The online documentation states that the residential 1500 holds 80 lbs. of product.

DReeves
02-24-2013, 09:45 AM
When I measure from the lowest shelf insertion point to the top of the smoker, it is 24".

The shelves are 18" wide.

I find it difficult to fully load my 1500.... this thing holds a lot of meat. I believe I have seen others that have fit at least 28 racks of baby backs in their 1500.

Good eatin'!

bbqbetty
02-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks for info. I'm trying to decide which smoker to buy, the SmokinTex 1500 or the Cook Shack Amerique.

DReeves
02-24-2013, 11:50 AM
You will, no doubt, find passionate people on either side of the fence.

I have nothing bad to say about CS. I will tell you that the customer care @ SmokinTex, along with the forum members found here, are second to none.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, so feel free to fire away.

Myself or anyone here can answer your questions. The units function very similar to each other, with a variety of capacity.

I wish you well well in your quest!

bbqbetty
02-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Does the temp vary as much as 45 degrees in the ST? I like the fact that the ST has all SS racks and the capacity and price but was concerned about the temp variation.

DReeves
02-24-2013, 06:11 PM
There is some temp variation. But this is normal. You set it for 225, it will go a little beyond, hit the temp, drop down, come back on.

It really evens out along the way. Overall, the decision for me is the end cook: how well does the smoker perform for me, when I need it to, and do so faithfully. For me, it is the SmokinTex.

I just can't beat the performance, dependability, and customer service for the price.

My friends can testify as well; they are always asking me to smoke for their special occasions. That really says it all for me, in my mind.

bbqbetty
02-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks DReeves for your help. I have been emailing with Scott about different things and he has been very quick to answer my questions. I placed order for 1500 today. I will be picking it up Friday at warehouse in Dallas. I agree customer service has been great. I am moving up from a Masterbuilt 40 in.

DReeves
02-26-2013, 08:33 AM
BBQBetty,

Best news I've heard today! Seriously, congrats.

I live in the metroplex, and have met Scott in person. He is a great guy, as is the entire crew @ SmokinTex. If you have any questions, as stated before, just fire away. We (the forum family) tend to agree "on most things".... but may vary a little in experience and opinion.

I love my 1500, as much or more than I did my 1400.

Enjoy :)