PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Probe Position

ajax
05-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Curious to hear from the veterans where they insert their probes in a whole packer brisket to measure when it gets to the preferred 195-205 range. It would seem that the thick point and relatively thin flat would reach that range at different times. So..... do you measure in the point or flat for the desired temperature and tender results?

DReeves
05-20-2013, 07:14 AM
I tend to insert my probe in the thicker part of the brisket. My goal is 203 internal, and yes, the flat will get there a little sooner, but not enough for me to worry about it.

I just smoked a 12.5 lb packer over the weekend. I did not crutch, and 19 hours later it was perfect.

Typically, you can estimate 1.5 hrs per pound. But I will stress that this is simply an estimate. Use a digital probe, and go for internal temp. Brisket simply doesn't cook the same each time, as each hunk of meat is different.

If you crutch, your time is reduced to roughly 1 hour per pound, again an estimate.

More info than you asked, but I prefer to under promise and over deliver :)

metronome
05-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Showin' my ignorance here, but what does "crutch" mean DReeves ??

DReeves
05-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Sorry 'bout that.....

Brisket.... any meat, when heated, will hit a point that the meat starts to sweat. This causes some evaporative cooling, much like you and I, when sweating. In a brisket, this usually occurs around 150 internal. And when this happens, the meat cools off a little, warms a little, cools, etc. This causes your meat to "stall". Not a big deal, just plan for it to happen, including the stall in your prep, knowing it will slow down your cook.

The Texas crutch is an effective way to push through the stall. When your brisket hits 150 internal, wrap it in foil, put the brisket back in to your SmokinTex, (don't forget to re-insert your probe) and carry on.

The plus: you will get a faster cook, roughly an hour per pound (vs 1.5 hr per pound). Your brisket will tend to be a little juicier.

The minus: Your bark will soften a bit.

I only crutch with brisket. You could crutch with a pork butt; it's another large hunk of meat that could benefit.

Here is a great article on the subject: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/texas_crutch.html

Enjoy!

DReeves
05-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Showin' my ignorance here, but what does "crutch" mean DReeves ??

Please feel free to call me Darren :)

BillyBob
05-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Firist of all I agree with DReeves...however, cook the damn thing to 200 internal rest and enjoy. Turn the smoker up to 250 and cook some meat...200...225 sucks trust me.

BillyBob

ajax
05-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks, guys. I did about an 11 pounder this weekend myself. Just unwrapped it, washed it, and rubbed it with some cajun rub mix. Left the fat cap on untouched. Inserted the probe into the middle of the thick point. Set it on 225 and began smoking at 11 Saturday night. At 2:30 Sunday afternoon my probe hit 201. I pulled it out and inserted it a few times at different points along the brisket side in towards the center. It went in like it was butter. Very nice for chopping and sliced ok too but tended to break into pieces since it was so tender. The fat cap just scraped off by dragging my knife blade over the top and pushing it off. Very tasty.

DReeves
05-21-2013, 08:41 PM
And that, Ajax, is what it's all about!

Good job :)

bigwalleye
05-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Makes me smile just thinkin' about it!

Congrats on the success.

BillyBob
05-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Congrat's on the cook.....sounds like you did a great job!!!!!

BillyBob

BillyBob
05-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Congrat's on the cook.....sounds like you did a great job!!!!!

BillyBob