PDA

View Full Version : Boston Butt

omaopa45
05-31-2013, 07:53 AM
I smoked a Boston Butt yesterday and it was great. I first smoked it in the ST smoker for 5 hours and then warped it real tight in foil and put it in the oven for 3 1/2 hours. When it was ready, I took it out and it was real tender. I then pored the juices in a bowl and then added BBQ sauce to it and that made it even better. I don,t know if anybody has ever tried that but it is really good.

bigwalleye
05-31-2013, 08:48 PM
We need the facts! Temp, size, rub?

Bigger butts can take 12-16 hours, so be prepared on a bigger butt.
Try the next one straight in the smoker with the fat cap on the top, at like 225. Try a mix of cherry and apple wood and about 4 charcoal briquettes. Get the whole butt. The bone end is more like ham and the bottom is more like a pork roast, and they're great when mixed. Run it in the smoker without foil if you like bark to an internal temp of 200. Be prepared for it to fall apart. I like the bark, its concentrated smoke and spice, and it's a little chewier alternative.

Cool screen name, by the way. Had an Oma and Opa myself long ago, and miss them both terribly.

DReeves
06-01-2013, 07:26 AM
I could not agree more with Walleye. I really have become a bark person. Both on my brisket and my pork shoulders.

Give it a try, you may just like it too :)

BillyBob
06-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Sorry Jim and Darren....I must add something here. I think what Jim meant to say was the SHOULDER not the WHOLE butt. Also, if you don't trim the fat....you will not get the flavor down to the meat and there will be no bark. Try cooking at 235-250...shorter cook and the meat is great!!!!

BillyBob

bigwalleye
06-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Billybob,
You are correct, I did mean to say the shoulder. In these parts, seems like it's pretty common to see the top half (with the bone) and the bottom half (without the bone) sold separately as 3-4 lbers. It's also pretty difficult here to find 'em untrimmed. Usually every shop trims off a lot( too much?) of the fat already.
While you give up some bark on the untrimmed butt, the tradeoff is VERY tender meat. All methods are good, and it's that much more opportunity for indepth comparisons!

Stoggs
06-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Hello all

Is 9 -11lb. pork shoulder too big to cook completely in the smoker? If you can cook it start to finish, how long would it take for that size?

Stoggs
06-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Oh! And how many ounces of wood do you recommend using? Should I add more wood at any point?

DReeves
06-06-2013, 02:13 PM
I would insert a probe in the middle, making sure not to touch the bone.

Cook @ 225, pull him out when the internal temp hits 205 (for pulling) 190 (for slicing).

Enjoy!

I use about 2 - 4 ounces of wood, at the beginning. I don't open the cabinet until the internal temp hits my desired goal.

Enjoy!

BillyBob
06-06-2013, 05:58 PM
I agree with Daren on this except I would cook the shoulder at 250 and it will be just as tender in less time. Also....I use 6-8oz's of Hickory/Apple/Peach or a combination of 2.

BillyBob

Stoggs
06-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Excellent! Thank you both. I'm doing two 9 lb roasts for our twins high school graduation party on Sunday.

admin
06-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Awesome! Please post pictures of your graduation smoke. Thanks and happy smokin!

scsmoke
06-12-2013, 01:06 PM
I'll be smoking my first butt Friday its about 9lbs. I injected with apple juice, vinegar, salt and accent last night. Do I need to trim alot of the fat cap and how long of a cook should I be prepared for if I cook at 225 or 250?

bigwalleye
06-12-2013, 02:52 PM
I would run it at 250, not trim the fat cap, with a target temp of 190 to slice it or 200-203 to pull it. Typically, I'll run something like 16-18 hours, a lot will depend on how dense the meat is, how much you injected into it. You can always turn the temp down on the smoker and hold it for a number of hours if need be. Se a thread from me : "Crisis Averted" for more detail.
You'll give up a little bark by not trimming, but you'll be juicier, which is a fair trade in my book.

DReeves
07-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Jim, a question for you....

I seem to recall your stating you like to use 3-4 charcoal briquettes in the smoke box. Any particular type or brand? Does it need to be hardwood charcoal or will the average stuff from Kingsford work....?

bigwalleye
07-09-2013, 09:47 AM
If you can find lump charcoal, great, but I'm using a bag of Kingsford pretty methodically, and I'm very happy with the results. Seems like it enhances the smoke flavor and helps contribute to the bark.

DReeves
07-09-2013, 10:11 AM
I have two bags of Kingsford already in my garage.... my only concern was that "lighter-fluid" type odor that seems to burn off after an hour or so of burning charcoal.