PDA

View Full Version : Boston Butts

omaopa45
06-13-2013, 07:09 PM
I would like to know if you can smoke a boston butt and then freeze it for later?

apperrault
06-14-2013, 07:37 AM
I do it all the time. I have actually done it a couple of different ways. When I buy a large one for a weekend lets say, I will smoke it all the way to the pulling point, and eat it up, then any leftovers i portion out, and then vacuum seal it up into portions that we will use. I slowly thaw it in the fridge for a day or so, and then when it comes time to warm to eat again, we slowly warm it in an oven, wrapped in foil. If i get a good deal and get a couple of them at once, I smoke the extra one about 3/4 of the way through, basically so it has received all the smoke it is going to get, pull it out of the smoker, chill it, and then tightly wrap in plastic wrap, then foil and freeze. To eat these I thaw them in the fridge again, and then finish the cook at about 250 in a foil pan, tightly covered in foil until it reaches the desired temperature.

I hope that helps

app

metronome
06-14-2013, 02:00 PM
I've found that Bar B Que pork shoulder and briskets freeze quite well.

BillyBob
06-14-2013, 11:04 PM
ajax is right on. However, when you thaw out the meat.....you can reheat it in boiling water or the Microwave. In any situation....add some moisture such as apple juice(my preference) plus BBQ sauce if you like.

BillyBob

Mayor
06-21-2013, 09:56 AM
We usually smoke 2 or 3 at once. We use to cook to 200 and then pull. Seems like it didn't matter how we warmed it there some of the pulled strings dried out.

Last one we pulled it off the smoker at 180. Then pulled or cut big chunks just small enough to go in a freezer bag. Now when it is warmed there is no dry pieces and the meat is still just as tender as if it were cooked to 200.