PDA

View Full Version : How much wood for a 12hr brisket

rkubasta
07-06-2013, 10:40 AM
How much wood do I use to smoke a 12 hr Brisket? Do I keep adding wood or just put it in when starting. I'm a newbe so dont know much about smoking food or smokers:confused:

BeachBoy
07-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Hey,

I am new to this as well but it is my impression you use between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of dry wood chips at the start and that will be pleanty of smoke for your meat. You don't want to keep adding wood because you lose heat everytime you open the smoker.
On a seperate note, I live just north of fort collins and am looking for a good butcher or someplace to get good quality cuts of meat and whatnot and am struggling to find somewhere that sells packers cuts of brisket. Do you know of anywhere in the ft collins area that might sell such a cut? Thanks, I'm just new to the area and trying to find somewhere local.

BillyBob
07-06-2013, 04:08 PM
I would use 4-8ozs....the first 2-3 hrs of smoke are the most important. If I were you, I would use wood chunks and not chips...the chips burn too quickly. You also mentioned a 12hr brisket....NEVER cook by time....cook by temp only....trying to cook by time will get you in trouble!!!!!

BillyBob

DReeves
07-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Rkubasta,

You can estimate about 90 minutes per pound, on average. Start earlier than you need to. You can always hold in the oven, an ice chest, or your smoker, until time to serve.

BillyBob is on the money - 190-195 for slicing, 200-205 for pulling (internal temps).

Enjoy!