PDA

View Full Version : Who's Smoking for Thanksgiving

Sodaking27
10-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Thought it would be fun to reach out to all the great folks on this site and see who's smoking what for Thanksgiving. Will turkey be the number one item? I'll start off by saying I won't be doing a turkey, but a deboned half of a ham. Now let's hear from the rest of the gang.

HaroldMB
10-30-2013, 03:23 PM
I plan to try my first smoked turkey. Either doing a ham or a brisket to go with it. I've made a sweet potato pie in my smoker that turned out great, will do that again for sure. Probably try to do a cobbler as well.
I'm Jewish so it's 2 holidays this year!! Looking forward to a few good cigars and some great food!!

BillyBob
10-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Sodaking27.....I will be doing a turkey and a ham.

Xyzzy
10-31-2013, 10:58 PM
I'll be d:ping a turkey. I'm hoping to figure out how long it might take by doing one this weekend as a test. The test one is brining away right now!

Sodaking27
11-01-2013, 06:18 PM
BillyBob, Xyzzy
Thanks for your input. Let's not forget to post some pictures of your cook also. Now let's here from the rest of you members out there.

admin
11-02-2013, 12:14 PM
HaroldMB,
Sweet Potato Pie in your smoker??!! Please, please send us your recipe and how you smoked it. With or without wood? What temp.
Please take pictures and post here on our forum.
Looking forward to Thanksgiving!
Thanks and happy smoking!

FredBoel
11-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Thought it would be fun to reach out to all the great folks on this site and see who's smoking what for Thanksgiving. Will turkey be the number one item? I'll start off by saying I won't be doing a turkey, but a deboned half of a ham. Now let's hear from the rest of the gang.

turkey for the first time.

Sodaking27
11-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Since I will not be smoking a turkey this Thanksgiving and it was calling for a rainy day on Sunday. I picked up a 11 lb fresh bird from BJ's yesterday and smoked it today. I decided to try a little something different and injected it using the Cajun Injector flavor of Honey Bacon BBQ. Turned out really juicy and tasty. Smoked it at 250 until I had an internal temp of 170 in the breast. Here are a couple pictures.

SmokeRing
11-18-2013, 09:23 PM
I'll certainly be smokin. Turkey. Generally a 20 lb or so. Take a look at the SmokinTex video on youtube for smokin a turkey to give you some idea. God smokin! :-D

shanon
11-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Turkey this year!

blueox
11-21-2013, 10:36 AM
The ole Blueox is doing a Turkey breast and a spiral cut ham.

DReeves
11-21-2013, 02:22 PM
I typically smoke a turkey, and I absolutely love Scott's recipe. Haven't decided this year, as the family that normally come over are not going to.

Might smoke some steaks, ribs..... who knows.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Hope yours is a memorable one.

D

Sodaking27
11-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Making a few snacks before the big meal.

Crab and cream cheese / Sausage and cheese ABT's

"Moinks"
~

Hope everyone has a very happy Thanksgiving.

Dan
11-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Sodaking,

Great recipe. This is how I have been doing turkeys lately. The Honey Bacon BBQ injection puts more than adequate moisture into the bird without having to hassle with brining the bird. Nothing at all wrong with brining, but it is significantly more involved. Using your method, I am finishing 12 to 14 lbs. turkeys in about four hours, at about 230F. This seems short to me, but the birds are coming out done and very moist.

After I inject the bird, I put a liberal amount of rub on the outside. John Henry's "Chicken Tickler" is good, but almost anything will work.

We will be getting ready soon to do three or so at Thanksgiving, can't beat the leftovers. Let's hope we see some good sale prices the week prior to Thanksgiving!

ia_james
11-11-2015, 03:27 PM
No turkey, might throw a moderate sized ham in there with some pecan and hickory.

Sodaking27
11-15-2015, 02:55 PM
No turkey this year. Will be making some jerky though.