PDA

View Full Version : turkey breast

blueox
11-10-2013, 05:30 PM
I have read the recipe for T breast but it didn't give me the internal temp temp to look for. This bird breast is 7 lbs of meat waiting to be enjoyed! I have a #1100 SmokinTex that is about as old as I am, but works better. Any tips on this would be appreciated. thanks

Sodaking27
11-10-2013, 09:34 PM
blueox
I've had great success cooking my turkey breast to an internal temp of 170. Then foil and wrap in a towel and place in a cooler to rest for an hour or two.

blueox
11-11-2013, 09:25 AM
blueox
I've had great success cooking my turkey breast to an internal temp of 170. Then foil and wrap in a towel and place in a cooler to rest for an hour or two.

Hello Sodaking. I appreciate the come-back. I thought that might be the golden temp. Thanks again and you an yours have a great and safe Thanksgiving!! :D

bigwalleye
11-12-2013, 05:25 PM
I'll even pull it at 165 and let it rest. The internal will climb a bit even after pulling. After that, Soda and I are on track.

blueox
11-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Do you also wrap and put it in a cooler for a while? How much wood would you use for a 7 pounder? Thanks for the come-back

bigwalleye
11-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Depends on what I'm doing with it. If my intent is to eat it now or soon, yes to foil, towel and cooler for an hour or until I'm going to eat it.
I normally slice it for cold apps with smoked cheese, so I'll let it rest on the counter in the open for half an hour, then foil it and put it right into the fridge. If your smoker is seasoned already, you almost don't even need wood, since the turkey is pretty mild. I like a little smoke, so I'll use about 2 oz of apple or maple for a mild smoke, and no charcoal.
Also, if you're going to save it for several days before you slice it, like an app, the longer it sits the more pronounced the smoke flavor. A little will go a long way. I typically season turkey or chicken with a dusting of Hy's seasoned salt (It's from Canada)(think Lawry's on steroids)

DReeves
11-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Just as a "FYI".

The USDA recommends 165 F. I like to go up to about 160, knowing that the temp will usually climb another 5 when wrapped in foil and resting. Yum!!!