PDA

View Full Version : How much wood to use?

meldou
12-03-2013, 04:39 PM
I may have missed something, but I can't seem to find how much wood to use when smoking in my 1400. I got the wood chunks that come with the unit but it does not indicate how big they are! I'm not sure if they are 2 oz, 4 oz, or what. When using wood chips, how do i measure 8 oz? I smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving and lightly "filled" the box with apple wood chips it was still smoking after 12 hours - and the turkey was very dark! I think I overdid it!

thanks! (newbie in texas)

djousma
12-03-2013, 07:12 PM
I don't weigh mine out, but usually a small "handful" is all I ever use. BTW, the wood chunks, or blocks, are just for seasoning the smoker, not for cooking food. Pick up a back of hickory, apply or other wood chips for smoking meat.

DReeves
12-04-2013, 08:58 AM
I agree with djousma.... with the wood, it is possible to overdo it.

The great thing about your SmokinTex, the more you use it, the more seasoned it becomes. I can throw chicken or fish in my smoker and not add wood, still comes out great!

Since you mentioned you are in Texas, look around your neighborhood or a nearby park. Likely you will find a pecan tree. My neighbors think I am the nicest guy in the world, always picking up their pecan branches when they fall. Leave the branches out on the porch to dry out, pecan is awesome for brisket.

bigwalleye
12-04-2013, 08:59 AM
I actually weigh on a postal scale. Barring that, chunks are tougher, because the density of the wood affects weight a lot. For chips, a snack ziplock bag with chips across the bottom evenly that I can just encircle with a thumb and index finger is about 2 to 2 1/4 oz for my hand.

ssauer
12-04-2013, 06:40 PM
I use 3 - 4 smaller chunks of wood. I think some of it depends on what meat you are cooking and how much smoke taste you want (personally). I cooked some chicken about a month ago, and used applewood/cherry mix, I used way to much wood for the chicken. It had to much of a smokey taste to is for what I personally was looking for. It's true a little goes a long way.

DReeves
12-09-2013, 12:01 PM
I would like to add a little to what Scott says.... when choosing chunks or the shredded chips, the smaller the pieces of wood, the more exposed surface for the wood = smoke faster and probably stops a bit sooner than the chunks.... just my .02.

I use 3 - 4 smaller chunks of wood. I think some of it depends on what meat you are cooking and how much smoke taste you want (personally). I cooked some chicken about a month ago, and used applewood/cherry mix, I used way to much wood for the chicken. It had to much of a smokey taste to is for what I personally was looking for. It's true a little goes a long way.