PDA

View Full Version : 32 lb Boston Butt Cook

ssauer
12-13-2013, 09:57 AM
I did my first mass cook of Pork Butt in my 1400 and thought I would share the results with everyone since it turned out simply amazing.

Buy lots of meat, I hit Sam's club again, they sell the butt's in 2 packs (8lb's each).

I decided to try out an injection since I have my new injector, I used a recipe I found off the smokintex forum. I decided to add a cup of applesauce to it, see picture for injection:

Put in smoker at 6am, cold and dark out there again!

Cooked at 225 for 13 hours, hit 209 and pulled all of them out. I put them in foil, and covered with towels to retain moisture. I think this is probably one of the most important steps in the cooking process. This captures the steam as they continue to cook trapping the moisture into the meat. Don't ever skip this step! I let it sit for about an hour and a half with excellent results:

I recently picked up a food vacuum sealer and planned on stock piling some meat (and giving some to friends/family as well). Here is my rations from the deep freeze!

Hope this helps someone. Happy Smoking and Happy Holidays!

Scott

ssauer
12-13-2013, 10:00 AM
BTW, I don't know why this stupid forum app keeps flipping my pictures but its annoying!

admin
12-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Test for pictures.
Ssauer, I used the picture icon for this forum and it seemed to inter it correctly. I used IE and chrome.
Try again and let me know. What app are you referring to?
Thanks,

ssauer
12-13-2013, 04:00 PM
The forum application, whatever forum app you guys are using on the back end seems to flip some of my pictures. I even tested flipping them to correct for what it was doing and it doesn't work. Appears to be related to pictures in portrait mode vs landscape.

Thanks,
Scott

BillyBob
12-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Scott....looks like a very good cook !!!

BillyBob

Mayor
12-23-2013, 03:45 PM
I have never cooked that many at once but 2 0r 3 usually. I used to cook to 205 then we would pull the meat then freeze. We found that the pulled pork would be very dry because of the small strands. I started removing from smoker at 180 and we pulled or, cut if needed, in large chunks. Just small enough to go into the freezer bags.
Now when it is warmed no more dry pork.