PDA

View Full Version : Newbie--need help with temps, types of meats, etc..

trb0523
12-31-2013, 07:40 PM
Is there a generic list of how to start smoking meat? Type of meat including wild game, temperature to start at, how long to smoke, what the internal temp should be when done, etc?

New smoker and would appreciate some help with general instructions.
Thanks!

bigwalleye
12-31-2013, 11:45 PM
I'd recommend starting with a thorough read of the appropriate ST manual, and then a search of the forum based on the specific type of meat you wwant to smoke. Personal preference has some bearing as well.
As a general rule:
Re: woods, less is better, chunks are better than chips, strong meats usually call for strong flavored woods, but taste figures in, don't discount mild woods like apple, though.
Re:temps, 225 is usually a good start, but internal temp is where it's at, and that will depend on what you're cooking and what you're doing with it. Pulled pork needs 200 internal, sliced pork shoulder 190 is fine.
Get a ntebook and track everything. Wood types, temps, settings, rack position, and results. Sometimes knowing what you DON'T like is more important.
Be active on the forum and ask. We want to help, as others have helped us. It can be a long learning curve or a short one if you get help. Short is better. Don't get discouraged.
And, by the way, Welcome to the forum!!! and happy new year!

billy b
01-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Here is the best time & temp chart I have ever used, I din't pay much attention to the time but the temps are spot on.
Copy it & keep it handy.
http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downloads_files/Time-Temperature.pdf

DReeves
01-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Thanks billy b and bigwalleye!

Both of you nailed it :)

bigwalleye
01-06-2014, 10:20 AM
billy b,
Thanks for that post! I've never seen that before, but it's about the most thorough list I've ever seen!

Also, happy belated birthday!

billy b
01-07-2014, 09:56 PM
billy b,
Thanks for that post! I've never seen that before, but it's about the most thorough list I've ever seen!

Also, happy belated birthday!

Glad to share it, don't know why I hadn't but it up before, & thanks for the birthday wishes.

yfchoice
01-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the temp chart. Any recommendations for thermometers? Is the wireless worth having?

bigwalleye
01-11-2014, 08:45 PM
The Maverick 732 is my choice, and it has a remote. I start a lot of butts late at night and it's nice to be able to roll over in the middle of the night and see the smoker is working properly, since I use a light tier as a turn on device. Lots better than getting out of a warm bed in MN in January and going outside in the middle of the night to make sure the next day's supper is going.

yfchoice
01-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Thanks. Just got my 1100 and am fired up (yeah I said that) to use it.

Sniper11
02-15-2014, 09:29 AM
It is important not to put cold meat into your smoker... Not sure if this is old news, but it sure helped me!!!

keith13b
03-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Here is the best time & temp chart I have ever used, I din't pay much attention to the time but the temps are spot on.
Copy it & keep it handy.
http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downloads_files/Time-Temperature.pdf

Thanks - that is a great reference list. One question though. On the Bacon instructions; how does one cook at 100 and cook to an internal temp of 140? Is that a typo?