PDA

View Full Version : Use sauce in smoker?

ajax
02-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Probly a dumb question, but does anyone brush on bbq sauce sometime during smoking their meats? I've got a couple of pork tenderloins I was going to rub and smoke and I'd like get a good bbq sauce glaze on them. I was thinking of brushing on for the last 30-45 minutes or even at the beginning and let it cook on for the entire time since the heat in my 1400 will only be around 230. Anybody got any experience/suggestions? I'd like the sauce to thicken up and form a nice glaze if possible. The sauce I'll be using will be a typical store type with sugar or molasses if that affects your answer.

DReeves
02-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Ajax,

No such thing as a dumb question!

I think this is a great approach. You could sauce at the beginning of your smoke, and then again halfway through. Give it a shot and let us know what you think. I would certainly be interested in hearing about your results.

bigwalleye
02-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Ajax,
I'd agree with Darren. I'vesauced in the middle and near the end, and it does provide a nice caramelizing, but i'd also recommend if you're opening the door, toss in right on top of the firebox, an ounce of water and quick close the door, to replace the moisture loss for having the door open long enough to sauce everything.
I've done it with ribs, primarily.