Thread: JERKY ? Anyone done JERKY in their smoker?

Default JERKY ? Anyone done JERKY in their smoker?

Hi,
    I'n really new at this.. Only did one brisket with pretty good success... How about smokng our own jerky? Anyone tried it? Any tips?
    \
    Thanks... Joe Wood

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Default jerky

Joe,
    Welcome to the forum. I have not done jerky in my ST, but others have, and will post. In the meanwhile, have you tried a forum search for "jerky" in the search box in the upper right corner? I tried it, and there's a BUNCH of posts to read while you wait for other folks to reply. The ST, being a "closed" system, is intended to keep moisture in, so some method to get it out is necessary. Appears some folks use a jerky dryer, available from ST, some may prop the door open, but to make jerky, you need some way to remove the moisture.
    Good luck, and, again, welcome to the neighborhood!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Welcome to the family, Joe!

I have messed around with the jerky dryer from SmokinTex, and it works great. The unit rests on top of the SmokinTex and helps pull air and moisture out of the unit.

Where do you live? You could make some jerky, and Jim and I are more than happy to stop by for a beverage and sample of your attempt at making jerky in your SmokinTex. We promise no judging!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Quote Originally Posted by DReeves View Post
    Welcome to the family, Joe!

I have messed around with the jerky dryer from SmokinTex, and it works great. The unit rests on top of the SmokinTex and helps pull air and moisture out of the unit.

Where do you live? You could make some jerky, and Jim and I are more than happy to stop by for a beverage and sample of your attempt at making jerky in your SmokinTex. We promise no judging!
    Absolutely!! Anything to help a new friend!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Hey Joe, I as well have used the jerky dryer and I agree, it works great. I tried it without using it and didn't like the results. The dryer is a little expensive but is well worth the money, if you do lots of jerky. I have a 1500 CXLD so I make some pretty big batches. I don't have to move racks around. it dries nice and even through out the smoker. If you don't want to buy the dryer, you can put the smoke to it in the smoker and then move it to a dehydrator if you have one. Main thing is to have fun and experiment. Some of my best smokes have been by mistake.