Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice: Perfecting Baby Back Ribs

Default Need Advice: Perfecting Baby Back Ribs

I been using a 1400 since the beginning of this year and am still trying to perfect my baby-back ribs.

What is the key making ribs that pull (not fall) off the bone? (I don't like when there is meat that you can't easily bight clean off the bond).

For my last smoke, I did the following:

3 Racks-each approx. 2.5 pounds, cut in half.

1) Ribs on counter for 30-40 minutes;
    2) Started smoker (without smoke box) at same time
    3) ribs and smoke box into smoker,
    3A) internal meat thermometer in one of the top 1/2 racks; also used an ambient thermometer
    4) smoked for 6 hours at ambient temps ranging from 205 to 225, the meat temp reached 167
    5) let ribs sit in hot smoker for another 30 minutes (ambient temp at 170).

they were very good, but when you eat them, some of the meat didn't pull right off the bone. should I have cooked at a higher temp for the same time period, or should I have cooked them for another hour or so? Also, advice about internal meat temps relative to my goal of getting the meat to come a bit cleaner off the bond?

I know about 3-2-1, but would prefer to find a way to get when I want without the hassle of the tinfoil.

Thanks

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

That's about what I'm doing without the last 30 minute "soak" and I've been pretty pleased. I usually, though, rub them and into the fridge overnight first. If I were going to experiment. I'd try a little lower temp, perhaps 190-210 for an internal cabinet temp, and try adding another hour to the cook. Low and slow is the secret, but at some point, you gotta eat em or the suspense'll kill ya.
    Maybe a slower cook. Hard to say what's still binding them up, but I'd guess collagen, or the ribs themselves. Have you tried a different brand?
    I've been liking Farmstead brand from the local store. They seem meatier and a better end result for me.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I'm with Jim.

I do have one suggestion. Instead of 30 minutes in your smoker at the end, pull them out, cover in foil (a platter does fine) and allow the meat to rest.

I've found (and read) that resting is critical to the cooking process. You can rest them for 15 to 30 minutes.

Yes, they will still be hot.

Let us know what you try/change and how it worked
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Thanks for both thoughts! I think I'm going to add an extra 30-45 minutes to the cook and tent in foil for 30 minutes or so before eating. I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks!

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

If you're going to try foil, I wouldn't "tent". I'd double layer the foil and wrap it tight. The foil will hold in the heat, drive up the temp, soften the bark and help break things down and tenderize a bit more, but watch the rubs. Folks with spicier/more salt/pepper/garlic, etc will do better than the sugar based rubs. The added moisture will tend to dilute the sugars.

Let us know your results!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

SmokinNY, I always cook baby backs in foil for an 30-45 min and then bast them with bbq sauce (lightly), this gives them a little "crust" when done, and then discard foil and finish cooking them another 30-45 min

Default perfecting baby back ribs

Im sorry, I mean 1 hour 30-45 min, not 30-45 min.

My method may be a little longer and a little more time consuming, but I can say that after three years of using the SmokinTex I've hit the championship ribs.

I first pull the membrane off each slab. I then rub my special dry rub on both sides. I place them on the racks and and turn the temp to 220 and use apple wood for the smoke. I fully load the smoker box. I smoke them for 3 hours. I then take each slab and individually wrap them in foil and place them back on the racks for another 5 hours. (Yes, for 8 hrs total) You only need 3 hours of smoke for a great taste. Usually the box is all ashes. The foils helps tenderize them during the rest of the cook. I then take them out and let them set for an hour. At this point I have a non flare-up stainless steel grill heating up and I then take my sauce/glaze with my rub mixed in it and sear the the ribs to perfection. The rub and sauce is half the perfection, but the long smoke really makes them tender. I have people all of the time tell me I should open a restaurant or enter competitions. I have to say, they are awesome. Enjoy! Happy Smokin! :-)
    I think the world is wearing bi-focals, I'm the only one with perfect vision. 'Paul Newman" in "Cool Hand Luke"

Wow!

I gotta ask what others are thinking... Would you share your rub and sauce recipes?

I gotta tell ya, they sound amazing! Really want to try everything you write about!

Thanks again for sharing!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

I use a fairly common rub, but mix it for my tatse. I usually double this recipe and I also cut the Cayenne pepper for my family as they think it's a little too spicy to just a 1/4 tsp.

1 Cup Dark Brwn sugar
    1/2 Cup Paprika
    2 1/2 TBS Coarse Black pepper
    2 tsp Chili powder
    1 1/2 TBS Garlc powder
    1 1/2 TBS Onion powder
    1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
    2 TBS Kosher salt.

THE GLAZE

The glaze I purchase, and for every two jars I put in 1/2 Cup of rub and boil together to mix. When grilling make sure the grill is hot enough to carmelize. You'll end up with a sweet and savory rib with a kick on the end. Depending on how much Cayenne pepper you add.

I bumped into Schaws sauce when the local store carried it. I liked the glazy texture, but it lacked a good bbq flavor so I added my rub and "viola". The perfect glaze. This Schaws sauce isn't the typical ketchupy type BBQ sauce. It's more like a honey syrup with some mild BBQ spices in it. Adding the rub perfected it IMHO!

http://www.schawssauce.com/

Happy Smokin! :-)
    I think the world is wearing bi-focals, I'm the only one with perfect vision. 'Paul Newman" in "Cool Hand Luke"