Thread: Marinate Baby Back Ribs?????

Default Marinate Baby Back Ribs?????

My local supermarket just ran a sale on Baby Back ribs... $1.99 per pound. So I stocked my freezer...
    Does anyone know of a TENDERIZING MARINADE METHOD?.... Or do I even need to marinate? I'm very new at this... I want the meat to fall off the bone...
    Thanks...

SmokinJoe

I simply rub 'em down with my favorite rub, let that sit overnight in the fridge. I must admit, I am not sure that the overnight is necessary.

Then, pick your favorite wood.... I prefer apple or cherry for pork, set your SmokinTex for 225, 6 hours.

Easy, peezy, lemon-squeezy
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

I usually hit mine with a little rub just before going in. I have only done spares which take a little longer to cook than baby backs, but for those I put them in at 225 for 4-1/2 hrs, sauce then back in for 1 more hour. They fall off the bone. Baby backs likely take less time to cook since they are smaller. Some prefer that the meat needs a little tug to pull from the bone which requires them to cook a little less. I haven't heard of marinating ribs but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I'm just not sure that would help give fall off the bone results. I think that's more of a length of cook thing. Try it to see what happens, take notes.
    ST1400 and loving it

Joe Wood....This is what I do.... if you have a vacuum sealer......put the rub on and vacuum seal over night.
    Cook at 235 for 2hrs...pull out and use double wrap for 1hr. Remove wrap.... sauce and back in until done.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I rub my baby backs, hold in the fridge overnight, some with apple wood chunks and charcoal for 6 hours at 210. I'd advise trying a method then making adjustments. an hour at the end in tin foil and back in the smoker will drive the temp up, hold the moisture in and make them more tender, but makes the rubs less flavorful.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

As you can see, Joe, many variations and approaches.

Try one, make notes of what you did and what you like about the outcome. Go with the process that works for you.

Happy Smokin'
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Thanks guys for all the replies... I marinated in apple juice and apple vinegar... Smoked w/ hickory for 5 hrs @ 200 degrees... Pretty tasty but didn't "fall off the bone"

"IT ISN'T HOW MUCH YOU EARN.... IT'S HOW MUCH YOU DON'T SPEND"

I'D LIKE TO REPLACE MY CASTERS WITH STAINLESS STEEL FEET... LIKE ABOUT 3 OR 4 INCHES HIGH... ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THESE AND WHERE TO GET THEM?

"I was on my way to an Alzheimers support group....... but I forgot where it was"