Thread: Meat Temperature Drops???

Default Meat Temperature Drops???

This is the second time this has happened:

I am smokin a chunk of pig meat. My desired temp is 169*.
    I am using a Maverick probe w/remote receiver.

The temp on the meat steadily rose to 165, then started falling, and is continuing to fall.
    It is now 156*, 45 minutes ago it was 165*

Anyone know what's going one here?

Sounds like the infamous "stall". Probly will stay in that range for a while before accelerating out. Mine have lasted 2-3 hours in the 160-165 range before getting up to 190-200 that I like for brisket and butt. I think it has something to do with moisture in the meat starting to come out and cools it for awhile.

Thanks Ajax! I'm kinda new to the schmokin' thing, only had mine for a few months.
    The infamous "stall" huh?
    Guess I'll get used to it. It did add extra time to the cooking, and I think maybe it dried out the loin a bit. But it was (is) still GOOD!!!!

Thanks again,

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Default Stall??

Might depend on what you're cooking. You indicate "pig meat" but that covers a lot of territory.
    Gonna take a few guesses here. You said your target was 169, which seems low for a pork shoulder, so I'm guessing you're cooking a loin. Suggestions that follow are based on that assumption.
    Loins are NOTORIOUSLY lean, so you need to be very careful or they will dry out. I'd recommend pulling it at 163-165, letting it rest 15 minutes and heading to the table. 169 is on the high side for a loin, so I'd expect it to be dry at that temp. There's no fat in it to braek down.
    Remember the meat will continue to cook after you pull it, so a pull at 169 might yield a 173-175 internal after a rest.

If you're actually doing a shoulder, there is a stall as the collagen liquifies, and it will vary some for temp and duration, depending on that particular shoulder. They'll start the stall at about 165, and for several hours slowly maintain and increase until about 175, then start ramping up more rapidly. If you're slicing a shoulder, try 190 as a target. If you were cooking a shoulder, 169 would be a tough, dry piece of meat, since the collagen and remaining internal fat hasn't yet broken down.

Long post, but I hope it helps.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Loins are NOTORIOUSLY lean, so you need to be very careful or they will dry out. There is no fat or collagen in a loin. I'd recommend pulling it at 163-165, letting it rest 15 minutes and heading to the table. 169 is on the high side for a loin, so I'd expect it to be dry at that temp. There's no fat in it to break down. Try a wrap first in a good fatty bacon or search here for the "banned KCBS tenderloin" recipe.
    Remember the meat will continue to cook after you pull it, so a pull at 169 might yield a 173-175 internal after a rest.

If you're actually doing a shoulder, there is a stall as the collagen liquifies, and it will vary some for temp and duration, depending on that particular shoulder. They'll start the stall at about 165, and for several hours slowly maintain and increase until about 175, then start ramping up more rapidly. If you're slicing a shoulder, try 190 as a target. For pulling, try 200 as a target. If you were cooking a shoulder, 169 would be a tough, dry piece of meat, since the collagen and remaining internal fat hasn't yet broken down.

Long post, but I hope it helps.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Default Sorry for the triple...

Dang computer won't let me edit or delete my previous posts.
    Please ignore my post #4. Post #5 is the correct one.

Thaks Big walleye. It was a loin, and it was dry. So I will take your advise for next time.
    THANKS!!

I agree with all the above.....however, you might try this. Smoke it until you get the color you want....pull and double wrap with tin foil put your thermometer back in and monitor the temp. Pull it at 10 degrease lower than your desired final temp. Vent the tinfoil and let set on the counter 15 to 20 mins and enjoy.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Gotcha. Thanks.