Thread: Smokin brisket

Default Smokin brisket

I'm new to the forum. I just went from a 1400 to a 1500. Put a 15 lb. brisket in last night at 10:00 p.m. Set at 225. At 7:00 a.m. temp at 187 already. I figured close to a 20 hr. smoke. Turned it down to 200. Thinking this is getting done to fast any advice maybe why? It is in the garage because of rain. I haven't checked the temp of the smoker.

Thanks,

Smokey50 (Wayne)

Smokey50....first of all....Welcome to the forum!!!! It does help that it is in the garage but all meat is different and you just never know. Good luck and have fun smoking!!!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

I just put a probe in the smoker on the grate to read the smoker temp and set at 200, I'm getting a 286-290 internal temp. To me that is way off. That would explain why at 225 it was getting done so fast. This is my first smoke with this smoker. I don't like that being that far off. Is this an usual thing? Okay I'm using a Maverick ET732. I'm out watching the smoker and the heater comes on around 200 and doesn't shut off till around 280. Smoker set at 200. 15lb brisket done in less than 12hr. I started the smoke at 225 at 10:00p.m. and had to turn it down at 3:00a.m. to 200 because it was getting done to fast in my opinion. Is there a problem with my smoker? What are other fellow smokers experiencing with heater on and off temps?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Smokey50; 09-14-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Smokey50,

You may want to call SmokinTex and check the calibration of your 1500. That seems, in my opinion, to be a bit more of a swing than what is normal. You can also lower your temp and hold your brisket in your smoker, much like a food warmer, until it is time to serve. Either that, or hold in an cooler, with towels.

Please let us know the outcome, of both the brisket as well as the smoker.

Welcome to the family!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Any updates, Smokey50? Any more attempts?
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I'm with Darren on this one. That upper limit temp with a 200 setting seems a liitle high, and the "on" temp of 200 seems high also. I would expect more like on at 180 and off at 230.

I agree, I'd recommend a call to ST for help with a re-calibrate.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!