Thread: Newbie questions

Question Newbie questions

I am a new owner of a model 1400 that I bought off Craigslist. Hard to believe anyone would sell it!. He needed to upsize since he was using it in a restaurant. I am not sure I have all the parts however. Does the smoke box just hang out like a diving board with no support at the door end? I am concerned since I have to move my 1400 in and out of the garage over bumps and such and dont want to overstress the smoke box supports. I was thinking of putting a little leg made out of a stainless bolt. I have seen some posts mentioning a light timer so you don't have to get up in the middle of the night to turn the smoker on. Wouldn't that be a problem that you have raw meat at room temperature from the time you put the meat in before you go to bed till the time you get over 140F? I am New England so could imagine doing something if the outside air temp is below 40 which unfortunately is much of the year.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Thor,
    Welcome to the forum!

The smokebox rests on a bracket that is unsupported on the door end. The bracket is secured at the back of the cabimey and protects the heating element. Sounds like you have everything.

I'm one of the proponents of the light timer, and use it pretty regularly. My meat, like a brisket or a pork butt, usually goes in cold from the fridge where it's been absorbing the spice rub, so it's in the 32-35 degree range going in, and with the door closed, the ST is an insulated unit, so I've never had the meat rise in temp abouve 40-45 before the smoker kicks on. I will load the smoker before bed and set it to turn on several hours later.
    You do need to be somewhat careful, and I don't know that I'd do this in the southwest, but here in MN, we've learned that cold nights can be our friend. Our greater risk is the meat freezing solid before the ST turns on!!!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Welcome to the family, Thor!

I live in the Dallas Metroplex, and I have yet to put meat in my SmokinTex and start later with a timer. I've considered it, but never attempted. If I am cooking a brisket, I simply calculate the time expected for a cook, then pad that a few hours (just in case). I can always hold in the SmokinTex, or hold in a cooler with towels.

Congrats on the Craigslist find!

Darren
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

I would be afraid the timer would malfunction and my meat would ruin. However, I'm old school, and that's just me. I agree with Darren (DReeves). Welcome and enjoy your smoker.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I would be afraid the timer would malfunction and my meat would ruin. However, I'm old school, and that's just me. I agree with Darren (DReeves). Welcome and enjoy your smoker.

BillyBob
    That's one of the benefits of the Maverick 732. I can bring the remote upstairs to the nightstand and give a quick one-eyed peek in the middle of the night to make sure the ST is doing it's thing outside.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I, too, use the Maverick 732. I am wanting it to die so I have an excuse to buy the new one

The best part is knowing what your temp is without going out into the elements!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all