Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat not getting to Temp it seems

Default Meat not getting to Temp it seems

I've had my 1400 for a couple of weeks now. I've done a few cuts. Did ribs a few days ago and they just seemed to take long to get to temp. I finished them in the oven in foil at 300* and they were fine.

Did a couple of 6# briskets yesterday. Followed the directions on the video, set at 200 put in the thermostat probe and left. 10 hours later the meat was showing about 138* and wasn't climbing. So I bumped up the temp to 215* and after an hour only at 141*. Bump to 225 and still only mid 150* at 13 hours. So I bumped to 250 and 16 hours later was time to pull or leave on overnight, temp showed 165* So I brought in both briskets let them rest some cut a couple of slices. It was good but not fall apart tender. Good flavor though.

It seem that either the smoker wasn't keeping up or the meat probe was off. So I check the meat probe in hot water and confirmed the temp with an IR temp gun and it seemed to check out ok.

Am I doing something else wrong? Shouldn't the brisket get to a hotter temp by 12 hours and for sure close to full temp of the oven by 16 hours?

Thanks,
    Carl

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Have you run a test to check temp in the smoker itself? Your temp dial may be off and in need of recalibration or your heating element may be suspect.
    I'd give ST a call on Monday and they can walk you through a check, or you could search the forum for recalibration.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Welcome to the family, catwood!

Jim is exactly on point. By any chance do you use a temperature probe? Many of us use the Maverick with two probes, one for product the other for monitoring the temp on the smoker.

I am curious what the actual temp obtained inside the smoker is/was.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

OK. I bought an extra probe last night. I have them both hanging in the smoker with nothing in it but the wood box no wood though. I set it for 150 and will go raise it once it hits that and compare the two. within seconds of turning on they both stabilized at 84 degrees so they at least at that point match.

Will post up the data shortly.

Good deal.

I have set my out on the counter, or sat on top of my smoker, and the temp matched the outside temp or the temp of my kitchen, so you are off to a good start.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

AT 150* it ran up fairly quickly then overshot into the 180* range. The probes were about 8* apart with the one used in the original meat reading higher. The temp dropped back down to a little over 155* and the probes were within 5*. I set it for 195 and let it run. Came up to the 220* range but then settled down into the 200* range eventually dropping down to the high 150* then cycled back up. So it seems to be working.

I then filled the drip pan with tap water and placed it low in smoker just below the probes with the thermostat set at 195* still. Temp floated about 150* for awhile, 45 minutes or so and didn't go above that. It started raining so I pulled the test and put everything away.
    Last edited by catwood; 07-24-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Catwood,
    I would agree, sounds like the smoker is doing it's thing correctly. You wil lsee more of a variance in temp with nothing in the box, but the heating element is similar to a water heater or electric stove, in that the temp will overshoot the set point then fall to below the low end before it cycles again.

In your original cook, did you have a drip pan with something in it under the meat? The drip pan, esp with liquid in it, will retard the heat from to some degree and extend the cooking time/temp, and I think your test evidenced that. You really don't need water with these units, since they're sealed once you lock doen the door. a few folks here do inject prior to smoking rather than use a water pan.

I'd consider a run with a cheaper cut, like an 8# pork shoulder (butt) to see the results with one probe in the box and one in the meat. I've found an 8 pounder at 225 gives a very good result, and are at least somewhat predictable at 17 hours (give or take).
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

No, didn't use a drip pan with water when cooking. I only did it to add moist mass for the test. The more I research the more I think it was me. I am thinking it will need to smoke longer than I originally expected.

I've cut both briskets in half and vacuum seal 3 of the cuts. I headed up on in the oven the other day wrapped in foil. It was pretty damn good and part of it (the ends) were pull apart good. they didn't quite make it to the table

Next time I'll go a bit warmer and start the day before, not the morning of.....

Thanks to all.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by catwood View Post
    they didn't quite make it to the table

Carl
    Protien evaporation is a beautiful thing, esp. in cases where there's bark involved. A napkin in a shirt pocket can aid in the removal of trace evidence from the face.

Catwood-

Good to hear!

A tip I learned early on is to start sooner than you believe you need to, as you can always hold the product in a faux cambro (fancy name for an ice chest, warmed with hot water, stuffed with towels, and your product wrapped in warmth).

I have even found that brisket, etc, come out even better once held in an ice chest for several hours.