Thread: New to Smokin Tex

Default New to Smokin Tex

I bought one of the big box store brands of smokers and got my feet wet. Experience wasn't bad but wanted something reliable, Did my research this time called several companies researched Smokin Tex, wasn't a lot of info on other sites or on forums about the 1460, most were on the 1400. But long short of it called Scott took him about 15 min and I had my questions answered. I got it last Friday, due to really bad weather I had to wait until today Monday to break it in. I'd like to thank all of the others for their newbie questions, they are a big help. I did my break in this morning. took 20 min to get up to temp (I'm using a Mavrick 733) I didn't use the break in wood I used chunks (7.9 ounces) I bought with the smoker from Smokin Tex. Temp got up to about 240 then there she blew, temp went up to 333 and slowly came back down and stayed between 205 to 240 (It was set on 215) I ran it for 5 hours, I was amazed that the element only cycled about 7 times. I'm used to it swinging like and open gate in the wind.
    I didn't have any meat ready to smoke today so after it cooled I went ahead and ran it again and I set the control just above 200, again it took about 20 min to get up to temp. Used 6.9 ounces of the same bag of chunks (first burn did it's job and was almost all ashes) and again she blew again temp spiked ate 327 now its staying between 199 to 232. There is some smoke coming out around the door but I was expecting that. after the blow it settles down and very little smoke comes out. I hope to smoke something tomorrow but weather is headed this way again and I live on the Bay here in Panama City Fl and even under a cover, sometimes it gets rough. I just hope this pressure release thing goes away. Any way I am well pleased with the smoker can't wait to get a pork butt on to try it out. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. I'd just like to thank ya'll for all the post they really help, And I know there's no such thing as a stupid question, we're just glad when somebody else ask them so we don't have to. So keep on posting.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Welcome to the neighborhood!!

Seems like a lot of us are all here as a result of similar research, or as a result of the big box store failures.

This thing rocks, and you'll be pleased with the results. Glad to have you with us!!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Welcome bhodges!!!

Looking forward to trading recipes, suggestions, successes and opportunities!

Happy to have you in the family
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Sounds like you headed in the right direction......let us know if we can help.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Hi bhodges,

As I read your post I was thinking, man this guy has the exact same story as me, almost word for word, then I continue reading and then it got even more dajvavue.
    When I read you were located on the Bay in Panama City. I'm located on the other side of St Andrew Bay on Panama City Beach. Maybe we can send smoke signals to each other. I just got my SmokinTex 1460 last week and am getting ready to take it on it's maiden voyage this weekend. My Masterbuilt has gone to pasture.

I'd love to hear about your first experience and your thoughts so far. I'm going to put a big combo lock on the front of mine and use it as a gun safe when I'm not smoking meat, these things are built like tanks!

Happy Easter, bh

Brian

Default Hey Neighbor

Good to know someone else is smoking with a 1460, and lives near by. I have smoked at least once a week since I bought my SmokinTex. Several pork butts, many pork loins, baby backs 3 times, whole chicken, breast and thighs, skin on and skinless, hot dogs, polish sausage, brauts, double smoked ham even Mac & Cheese, today I'm smoking St Louis style spare ribs. I still have not smoked a brisket, I plan to soon. I LOVE this thing, my only complaint is it still leaks smoke around the top and side of the door, but I can't tell it hurts anything, it all taste good. I hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am.

Just got my ST 1400...after owning a huge 1000 lb tank style smoker for 5 years...I'm sooooo glad I got rid of that coal & wood eating behemoth and switched over to this awesome electric smoker! I've been reading about them for years and Smokin Tex makes them affordable...I did my first Pork Shoulder yesterday (sorry no pics) and used the same method used in the "Pork Sticky" on the forums page...and it took exactly 14 hours for a 10lb. shoulder at 225F and when I pulled it..some burnt ends fell off and both me and my wife thought...this came from heaven it was so good. I used:
    ~ North Carolina Rub ( I add brown sugar and cinnamon) - rub the meat with some yellow mustard then the rub/wrapped tightly in cellophane in fridge overnight
    ~ Injected with chris lilly injection marinade after wrapping with cellophane
    ~ Used 4 oz. Hickory, 4 oz Apple
    ~ Got the Internal temp of meat up to 200F (14 hours) and then wrapped in heavy foil for 2 hours, in cooler with towels

I also made the East NC coleslaw and my own NC vinegar/pepper sauce...and I add 1/4 of my pepper sauce to 3/4 of "Sweet Baby Rays Original"...makes a killer tomato based!
    Add all of the above to an Arnold Potato Bread Roll...and you've got a sandwich that you cannot stop eating! I've been eating them for breakfast!!

Sounds incredible, BDC!

Welcome to the family and to the forum!!!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Congrat's....sounds great!!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

BDC,
    Welcome to the group. Sounds like a nice first cook! What a great way to celebrate your separation from that old smoker monster!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!