Thread: Baby is here!

Default Baby is here!

My new 1400 just arrived.
    Overall, very happy.
    The drip tray holders were put on crooked so needed a little redneck engineering, but crisis was averted.
    Now have it out on the deck seasoning.
    I used 4 of the pieces of wood they included. Sounds like folks don't think much of cookin' with these, so i figured seasoning might be a good chore for them.
    Don't know if anyone else is this uptight, but i timed mine making it to 225... 26 minutes, then it kind of jumped to 240. Will run it at 250 for a while. :-)

One of the big problems of getting stuff up here is shipping (not the sellers fault, just the penalty for living in God's country). I originally was looking at a competitors box - it was a little more expensive and shipping was $320. Even the 1400, through SmokinTex, was around $176 or $220. I normally can get things through Amazon Prime, but not a good smoker. Ended up that Sportsman's warehouse ships for free to their stores. Think that includes the Fairbanks store? Nope. LOL But their shipping for the smoker, 3 bags of wood, rib hooks and a cover, was only $39.

Unpacking:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smoke1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smoke2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smoke3.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	355

Now i'm a little curious.
    Had the machine set to 250. It got up to 290 and we turned it down to 225. It hit 302 and then started falling. (per my Maverick).
    Ambient temp is 47*.
    only thing in the smoker is the wood.
    Is this normal? To go so much higher than the dial; 50*? I'll definitely be using my Maverick...

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!! Rather than cigars, I'd recommend some nice kielbasa or andouille links and a light apple smoke....
    Also, please identify whether your ST is a boy a girl. To paraphrase Yogi Berra, we need to know if we're aunts or uncles....

Some variation above and below set temp is normal, but i'd suggest running it for a while and keeping records. 50 degrees over set point seems a little high, but I'd run it a couple times and see. Since it's a tehrmocouple unit, much like an oven, a water heater or a home furnace, it will fall below the lower end of the range for that thermocouple before it turns on and above the upper (set point) range before it turns off. Temps may vary more widely because there's nothing in the box.

A recalibration is possible, and if need be someone at ST can walk you through it. I've not had to do it, but some have, so I can't offer any first hand experience.

Yup, the blocks sent with the unit are NOT for cooking, only for seasoning to help start a creosote layer and cook off any residual manufacturing oils.

Glad to have you with us. Keep good records, and don't be afraid to try new things.

Jim
    Last edited by bigwalleye; 04-16-2015 at 10:24 AM. Reason: additions for clarification
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Thanks Jim.

Considering the light touch that this smoker requires, and the fines with which I expect her to cook, I'm going to assume she's a girl...

Recalibration may indeed be called for. i'll try it this weekend with the butts and see how it goes. If it doesn't settle down a bit, i'll give them a call.

Thanks!!
    steve

Congrats on your baby girl, Buba1!

I am certain once you get past break-in that she will bring many smiles to your face

So happy to have you join the family.... we look forward to many great conversations around these awesome smokers!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all