Thread: Didn't like the Oak

Default Didn't like the Oak

Hi All,

I did another Brisket test (Second one) I ended up with the same result. super juicy on the inside, but the outside was a little tough and leathery. I used 5oz of oak, probably to much 2oz of maple. Any ideas whats gone wrong?

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Could be the meat itself, could be the temp or time, could be too much smoke. You will get a "bark" on the outside, so some is to be expected, and probably moreso than the same piece oven cooked.
    Some folks like oak, some don't, kind of a personal thing, but I would concur that 5 oz of oak and 2 oz of maple is a lot. Again, a taste thing. Oak is pretty acidic, so the smoke does come off stronger. I've never used that much wood, so can't say if that would be contributory to a harder/heavier bark.
    Where are you putting the brisket in relation to the heat source? Higher? Lower?
    A picture of the bark might also help us.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Photo's..... Here you go.
    It was near the top of the smoker Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7288.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7291.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	352

Sorry one is sideways

How thick is the bark?
    We'll see how others respond, particularly BillyBob and Darren, they certainly have more experience with brisket that I, but it looks pretty normal to me. What time and cabinet and/or internal temps? Might try foiling in the last couple hours to soften the bark a little. Folks that do foil will foil for an hour or so at the end, then take the foil off for the last hour. Time in the foil softens the bark, raises the temp, and time out of the foil will firm the bark up again. Also known as "The Texas Crutch".
    Last edited by bigwalleye; 04-15-2015 at 10:58 AM.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

The bark wasn't that thick. 14hrs at 185'f. The internal temp was 185'f

I'm thinking the bark was pretty normal, then. 185 as an internal is rather high, but depends on how well done you like your meat, and you may be giving up some tenderness in the process. Remember it's gonig to cook for another half an hour on the counter while it rests.
    Thinking about rest periods, meat sliced immediately upon removing from the smoker or grill loses a lot of juice/moisture/liquid. the bark seals it in, and letting it rest for a period of time allows the meat to reabsorb and redistribute it.
    Might give some thought to pulling it a little earlier in the temp cycle, especially if the intent is to slice it.

As much as it would pain me, just to identify the problem I'd avoid changing a bunch of things at once. Lots of changes together never really allows you to isolate the problem or the solution.

Thanks,

I'm changing things a little, first of all the blend. Tonight's blend will be 1oz Oak, 1.5oz Maple, 1.5oz Alder. I am going to foil 3 hrs from the end. I'm also running an injection marinade tonight. I'll let you all know how things turn out.

Kris-

I'll throw in my .02.... spend it wisely

For brisket, I usually only buy from Costco or Sam's.... or better. By that I mean that the brisket they sell at the grocery store is usually not all that great - like Select. You want Choice or better. Sure, you will pay an arm and a leg for the next year or two, but the results are worth the investment, IMHO.

Brisket should be smoked to 185 for slicing, 200'ish for "pulling/chopping. Personally, I prefer 203. Don't ask me why, I must have hit that number in the past and had great results (ever since).

I do inject - with either Tony's or simple beef broth.

Good luck. Feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt, some black pepper, and some garlic. Don't forget the paprika!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Darren Thanks

The temp numbers I've taken notes of thanks. Its hard working everything in Fahrenheit but I'm starting to prefer it.

I buy from the Farmer direct, my last cut was from a back up supplier as my farmer was going to a show and was out. This time its a prime cut, grass fed and its from my much loved farmer.

Injection. Lemon Kick (Home made lemon chilli sauce) White Wine Vinegar, Beef Bouillon, Worcestershire Sauce, Garlic powder, Onion Salt Water, Black Pepper, Smoked Paprika.

I'm going to pull, so 203' it is

Can't wait to get this bad boy in the oven.
    Last edited by Kris; 04-17-2015 at 12:28 PM.