Thread: Brisket stuck at 145

Default Brisket stuck at 145

1st time to use the SmokinTex 1400. I have a 12 lb brisket and put in to cook at 200 for 14 hours with 4 oz of hickory. At 14:30 the temp still read 145. I have decided to wrap it in foil and put it in the oven at 250 to see if I can get it to 195.

I was trying the rub and cooking method that Scott Wallace's video did. Any advice for this rookie?

Update. I thought it might be my probe so I put the probe in the 1400 and turn the temp to 200. In about 15 minutes the probe read 205.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1259.jpg  
    Last edited by TexBoots; 04-25-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Could be a stall, could be the box temp wasnt high enough to help the brisket push through the stall, although a stall at 145 seems a bit low. Most stalls, on pork anyway, seem to occur at the 170 mark. I've not done enough beef to be sure. I will say 14 hours seems a bit light. I plan my schedule for 8-9 lb pork butts to take 18 hours at a 225 temp setting. If the box is set at 200, pretty unlikely the meat is going to reach 200 without a very long wait. I'd try again, set the 1400 at 250 and see what it does. 12lb is a pretty sizeable brisket.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I completely agree with Jim on this one.

I usually set for 225, and let 'er go. One tip I learned very early on.... start earlier than you think you need to. If you eat in 24 hours, start @ 20 hours before. This will provide wiggle room.

As Scott will tell you, these smokers make a great holding oven. Even if your brisket hits temp in 19 hours, just lower the temp and hold till ready.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

thanks for the input. I'll up the temp next time. Getting ready to smoke 2-3 of these for a party and this was a trial run. I might need to do another trial run. Next up, baby back ribs this weekend.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Good luck! Please share both results!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!