Thread: reverse sear

I'm a redneck married to a cajun girl and everyone knows you can't get a cajun out of s.w. louisiana

Default reverse sear

I was watching a bbq show about reverse searing a ribeye--cook steak at 250 for 45 min (125 degrees) in oven or pit and let rest for 15 minutes and then sear either in a hot cast iron pot or a very hot bbq pit--has anyone tried this using your smoker for the 45 min then using the hot pan or pit?

I'm a redneck married to a cajun girl and everyone knows you can't get a cajun out of s.w. louisiana

Default try it I think you will like it

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    I was watching a bbq show about reverse searing a ribeye--cook steak at 250 for 45 min (125 degrees) in oven or pit and let rest for 15 minutes and then sear either in a hot cast iron pot or a very hot bbq pit--has anyone tried this using your smoker for the 45 min then using the hot pan or pit?
    I tried it over the weekend and it was great---season a good ribeye with olive oil and your favorite seasoning ( i Like Minors steak and a little tonys)
    cook in smoker at 250 until meat reaches 125--I did not use any wood but my smoker is old and seasoned---take out and let rest about 15 minutes---take some melted butter and seasoning and pour over meat during 15minutes---get your bbq pit as hot as possible and sear steak for about 2 min each side---take out and let rest--then enjoy----has very nice crust and meat will be medium rare thru our whole steak--very juicy

Awesome!

I love reverse searing. Funny thing is, several of us have been doing this in our smokers for a while and did not know it was called reverse searing

I completely agree with you, the flavor is outstanding.

Thanks for sharing
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all