Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need higher temp

Default need higher temp

I have a 1500cxld that smokin tex showed great forsight in making the inside of the smoker large enough to hold a full size restaurant pan but they should have raised the top temp to at least 300 degrees or even better 325 degrees
    maybe they can come up with an aftermarket temp control that will go to 300 or 325-i have to use my southern pride to cook chicken in order to get the skin acceptable-come on smokin tex you sold me a great smoker now find me a great thermostat to go with it. I will be glad to pay for it but i do need the higher temp thermostat-maybe sell an upgrade kit.

Herman

Diz

any progress on the higher thermostat

Herman

Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post
    I have a 1500cxld that smokin tex showed great forsight in making the inside of the smoker large enough to hold a full size restaurant pan but they should have raised the top temp to at least 300 degrees or even better 325 degrees
    maybe they can come up with an aftermarket temp control that will go to 300 or 325-i have to use my southern pride to cook chicken in order to get the skin acceptable-come on smokin tex you sold me a great smoker now find me a great thermostat to go with it. I will be glad to pay for it but i do need the higher temp thermostat-maybe sell an upgrade kit.

Herman
    herman my chicken skin comes out great each time on my 1500. And I never get the temp over 225 degrees. And everyone eats the skin and talks about how good it is and the chicken is as its tender and juicy.
    I spray the skin with pam spray that allows the skin to come out perfect each and every time.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Diz

Whats the story with the higher temp? If I do not hear from u soon I'll make my own changes and let u know how it works out

Herman

Lightbulb

Herman,

Have you ever used a pan inside the smoker to cook in? Say, like for ribs, butts, whole chickens, or brisket?

Cajun Boy

what purpose would the pan serve? the only time I use a sheet pan in the smoker is when I am smoking meatloaf and thats only to keep the meatloaf from falling apart

Herman

Just thought that it might make for an easier clean-up and wasn't sure if it would work or not.

I've cooked a kazillion fryers on my smokin tex and always smoke them at 225. I see no reason for the higher temperatures. Let the chickens smoke for 4 hours at this temp and they are well smoked and tender. This longer slow smoking is what imparts the flavor.

Luke -- I don't think the issue is the meat, it's the rubbery skin these smokers produce. Smoking birds at 225 - 250 produces great smoked chicken but the skin leaves a lot to be desired. Some finish em up on the grill while others will toss them in a conventional oven to crisp up the skin.

Rubbery skin is the issue!

Default chicken skin

I like the Pam idea....wonder if it produces an acceptably crisp skin.
    Then again, back in the 70's, my wife and I used to buy the damn-dist whole BBQ chicken from a joint in Shreveport.
    A little hole in the wall spot on Kings Hwy. It DID NOT have crispy skin and certainly didn't need it.
    Thirty-seven years and I still remember that bird. Lord have mercy......