Thread: issues with temperature

Default issues with temperature

for the last three attempts, I have tried to smoke a 12 lb brisket with horrible results. I use a Poulder prob, set the temp to 180, set the smoker at 220 and plan to have it done about 18 hours later. My prob goes off after 4 hours showing an internal temp of about 210 degrees. So I just go by my instinct and time (which I do not trust). I have had the 1400 smoker for 4 years and seems to work fine. Can the prob have gone bad or the Poulder unit itself? Any thoughts are welcome.
    Last edited by FredBoel; 05-23-2015 at 10:05 AM.

I am pretty new to the whole thermometer use method. I have just cooked by time for many years. But my guess is that the temperature is not reading correctly. I am sitting here looking at my Maverick 733 as we speak. I have it set to 225 and there is flat in there. The flat has been in just over 3 hours and its showing 149 degrees. I don't see how you could have gotten a 12 pounder up to 180 that quickly. Maybe one of the more experienced guys will happen along soon and add something to this. I think they are going to want to know where you stuck the probe and if you monitored the stove temp as well.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Txjames nailed it.
    I think your thermometer is suspect. I have no experience with that brand, but either the unit or the probe is bad of your 1400 is set on "nuclear".
    I'd try a new probe first if they're not too expensive. Seems like the probes go bad at some point in all of them. The head unit really only displays what the probe sends it.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Bad probe or not positioned in the thickest part of meat are the only two things I can figure. Did you have another thermometer like an instant read type that you could stick in where the probe had been to compare its reading to the probe's? That would answer the probe accuracy question.

I have a Smokin Tex 1500 C. In the directions it says to load the meat in and preheat and it should take from 20 minutes to 60 minutes to reach 225. I have 2 pork butts and 8 racks of ribs and the heat light has never gone off and its been three hours. When I turn the thermostat knob down it is saying the internal temperature of the unit is around 200. Can you not go by that to determine when it is heated up?