Thread: Please Help with a question

Default Please Help with a question

Hello , I now have to use an extension cord (outside ( to my 1400 smokintex .. when i smoke at night at times i get concerned about weather because where i plug my 1400 in the extension cord its outside .. im concerned about it raining at times .. my question is this .. should i get a longer extension cord to be able to plug it to the 1400 inside my back porch ? or is there a good way to waterproof where i plug the 1400 to the outside extension cord ?

In advance , I thank you for your help / reply ..

Regards , Brian

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

While a proper ground and GFI will prevent shorts/fires/etc, I think the real question is "what's going to happen to my food if the power is lost?" At least that's what I'd be asking.
    I run a longer AND heavier weight cord from an outlet inside the garage under the closed garage door to the smoker outside and have a 2' x 2' piece of plywood I lay over the plug to ensure no water onto the plug. Never had a problem, but I do the same with boat charger, etc, that needs to be plugged in overnight.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

bigwalleye , thanks for the reply / help .. im concerned of fire/shorts/ ect...i thought of a longer cord but remembered i read a longer cord could reduce temp in smoker .. again , thanks !

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I run a 25 ft cord, but it's a 12 guage, so it's pretty stout. The temp loss usually comes as a result of the higher amp draw being pulled a longer distance on a small diameter cord. Any cord I use for smoker, battery charger, engine block heaters, etc with high power demands is a 12 ga cord.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

You will need to use the right cord for your for your (12 guage) . DOT USE in the the rain.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Hi Guys, been a while since I've looked at the boards, and in the spirit of better late than never. Brian, here in Florida we get pop up showers all the time and many without warning. If my smoker is working the night shift, (Which it usually does) if there is any chance of rain. I'll use some plastic wrap or a zip lock and some electrical tape where the power and extension cord come together. Also I will take an aluminum baking sheet and put of over the top of the smokinTex (front to back) to cover the Thermostat and vent hole. It has more than enough clearance for the vent. Any splashing or dripping rain just runs down the sides. I'm sure everyone will tell you if you can keep it out of the rain great. But if you are 3 hours into a 15lb Brisket when the rain comes you don't have a lot of choices. My GFI circuit has a hair trigger and thus far I've had NO problems. Of course do this at your own risk.

I'm also working on a pontoon system for my SmokinTex so I can use it in the shallow end of the swimming pool (yes I'm kidding about that) Good Luck Brian

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFL View Post

I'm also working on a pontoon system for my SmokinTex so I can use it in the shallow end of the swimming pool (yes I'm kidding about that) Good Luck Brian

Brian
    Nice!!! I know you are kidding (sorta) but how cool would that be????

I, too, use a heavy gauge cord on my 1500. I do keep my smoker on the back porch, though, so only occasional "spray" happens while smoking.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all