Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dan's Fantastic Smoked Salmon

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Ok, today is the day. Got the case of salmon before Christmas, fillets flat frozen at about 1.5 lb apiece. Been thawing, and we're gonna start the brining process this afternoon, working toward 18 hours as an initial brine time run. Got a mild weekend in the Northland, so we'll be smoking this recipe tomorrow!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    Ok, today is the day. Got the case of salmon before Christmas, fillets flat frozen at about 1.5 lb apiece. Been thawing, and we're gonna start the brining process this afternoon, working toward 18 hours as an initial brine time run. Got a mild weekend in the Northland, so we'll be smoking this recipe tomorrow!!
    I'm envious of anyone having a case of salmon!!

Hope it goes well, I bet it will. What kind of salmon do you have? Any good sources to recommend? Supplies can be a challenge here in Texas.

Good luck and please post outcome.
    "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit"

Sockeye. My sis orders a lot of fresh and fresh-frozen meat from a company called Zaycon. Prices pretty reasonable. It comes to the local distribution point and you pick it up. Never anything I didn't like. My half of the case was 10 fillets, so just got salt/brown sugar on them for a smoke tomorrow. As a walleye guy, getting the hide off was a different battle. Since the fillets aren't large, I may try the next ones with the hide on them. Any thoughts, Dan??
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I recently smoked my first fish, and it was brown trout. All I did was gut and scale them. I used a dry brine (which turns to liquid in a few hours in the fridge) consisting of two parts brown sugar to one part kosher salt. Mine sat in the brine for 12 hours. Smoked them with cherry chunks for 6 hours at around 130°, then cranked up heat to 175 until internal temp of fish was 140°. I ate one trout right away when I took it out of the smoker, and I thought it was really good. I ate another the next day, and it was excellent. My mother enjoys smoked fish, so I gave her one. She took one bite, and asked for another fish. I knew I did something right when she said that!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trout done skin on.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trout done.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	395

Alright, results are in.... I suspect my fillets were a little small at about 1.5 lb apiece. As a result, fairly thin. Went by the recipe and the flavor is good but they're pretty dark compared with photos earlier in the thread, and, again, due to the thickness or lack thereof I guess, seemed a little saltier than I'd like, as well as a little chewer. I either need to step up to large salmon fillets or cut back brine time and smoke time. All about the experiment, though.

Any thoughts from the master, Dan???

Hi Bigwalleye,

Sorry it took a while for a response. My experiments have all been with about 1 to 1.5" thick strips of the fillets. Overbrining has not been an issue. Also, my fish has supposedly been fresh, never frozen. Don't know what difference that might make. Think the operative point is exactly what you said, "all about the experiment." Keep us posted on how this progresses. Sure miss living in Alaska when it comes to accessing really good fresh salmon. Nothing like it on earth! Fun to catch and to consume!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    Alright, results are in.... I suspect my fillets were a little small at about 1.5 lb apiece. As a result, fairly thin. Went by the recipe and the flavor is good but they're pretty dark compared with photos earlier in the thread, and, again, due to the thickness or lack thereof I guess, seemed a little saltier than I'd like, as well as a little chewer. I either need to step up to large salmon fillets or cut back brine time and smoke time. All about the experiment, though.

Any thoughts from the master, Dan???

Any chance you have ever tried candied salmon? If so, do you have a recipe you might recommend?
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Quote Originally Posted by DReeves View Post
    Any chance you have ever tried candied salmon? If so, do you have a recipe you might recommend?
    Hi DR,

The short answer is no, BUT, there is one recipe I have been considering for a while but not yet tried. It has me intrigued, but the shortage and cost of really good salmon, coupled with the cost of all the ingredients, has had me in a holding pattern.

Take a look at the video link below, man it looks like a winner. If anybody tries it, please post results, or better yet, throw a party!

Regards,
    Dan

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhef6s7uyk8